Black Screen

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TrevelyanBlues

Black Screen

Post by TrevelyanBlues »

Hi all,

I want to clarify I've no experience in computing or coding, I'm intending to get some using Linux.

Trying to install Linux Mint 14 64-bit so I can dual boot between it and Windows 8.
I'm trying to install it from a USB (SanDisk 16GB)
I can get to the grub? sorry, not entirely sure but it's a black screen with white writing and options to install linux, install linux compatibility etc
I click to install and it cuts to a black screen.
I can reset my laptop using Ctrl+Alt+Del so it's not frozen, there's just no screen.
I've searched about and the suggestions are to edit the code or something.
I've tried a bunch after the splash -- part, stuff like radeon.nomodeset=0 and a ton of others with no luck.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Sorry for the retarded way this was written or if this is in the wrong place :/

*I've got a Samsung AMD A8 APU with Radeon HD
uh, feel free to ask for details about the laptop or whatever you need :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Black Screen

Post by passerby »

How long does the screen stay black? It can take a while to boot through live mediums.
It often takes me a good 5 minutes to get from that install screen to the next GUI when booting from a DVD.

If it's not a matter of waiting it out, have you tried running it in compatibility mode?
It's possible that the live system doesn't support your laptop's graphics card/onboard graphics by default.
TrevelyanBlues

Post by TrevelyanBlues »

hmm, maybe i haven't been patient enough...

I've tried running it in compatibility mode with the same result, what would you suggest I run?
any code edits before I boot it or shall I just use the compatibility mode?

If it doesn't support it is there a way around that to allow the install?

Thanks for the reply :D
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Try to intalll it on a USB with Unetbootin it will boot faster this way and you'll be fine :D :D
Edit: You can get UNetbootin at http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ :D
Last edited by Brahim Salem on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrevelyanBlues

Post by TrevelyanBlues »

I'm not keen on the idea of using that sorry, I'm too far to switch my approach now!
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Hold down SHIFT from when you see the BIOS load screen to trigger the grub menu and check this link http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132 :D
passerby

Post by passerby »

It sounds like LM14 isn't going to boot on your system, be it a graphics driver issue or otherwise. You could try:
-Installing LM13, assuming that works. It is LTS, after all.
-Installing Ubuntu 12.10 and converting it into mint. This takes more work, but I've seen Ubuntu boot when Mint won't and vice versa.
-Remove the HDD, put it in another laptop (or connect to a PC, if you have the equipment) and install the OS, then put the HDD back. This doesn't guarantee the OS will work as desired in the original machine though.

Hopefully someone can offer an edit for the install command to make it work. That would be the easiest and best solution IMO.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

TrevelyanBlues

Post by TrevelyanBlues »

guys thank you for all your help!
unfortunately i'm still having trouble so i'm gonna try mint 13 and see if it gets any better
also, see the first screen with the "install linux" and "install linux (compatibility)" options, as well as test memory and something else, i have to press the "E" key to edit the code, in the next page it has the option to press F2 to go to command prompt. where am i supposed to be writing the modeset/nomodeset etc? so far i'm deleting the "--" and replacing it with the codes, this correct?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

TrevelyanBlues

Post by TrevelyanBlues »

At the 10 second countdown screen during boot, press a key.

That's the first point but I can't even get that far xD
Black screen with white writing is as far as I get :/

Thanks though :)
TrevelyanBlues

Post by TrevelyanBlues »

downloaded Linux Mint 13 and installed from the USB with NO ISSUES

guessing there's just a compatability issue between my APU and mint 14?

thanks for everyones help it was awesome, was not expecting such a quick response!

i know it's cheating a little to jump to 13 but hey, finally got there :D
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I'm glad that you made it through! :D :D
BTW The most significant improvements in Nadia are being backported to Maya just enable the backports. Check this link for howtos http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2225
ranmasword

Post by ranmasword »

I had the same problem with a Lenovo G475 laptop, but funnily everything works fine if a start up the computer with the dvd tray opened. If its closed I always get the black screen, but if as soon as I turn on the computer, I eject the dvd tray, then everything boots up perfectly. I dont know if this can help you, but it worked for me.

Im using Mint 14 and I love it! I changed all my business computers to Nadia (12 computers) in the last two weeks and everything is working way better than it used to with W7. This Lenovo computer was the only one with this funny glitch.

Return to “Beginner Questions”