windows boot option loads linux mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
choppy1812

windows boot option loads linux mint

Post by choppy1812 »

Hello all,

I just installed mint cinnamon 32-bit on my sdb drive, and I have windows 7 on the sda drive. During install, the bootloader was put on sda (windows drive).

Now, when I boot, I can choose the first option for Mint (on /dev/sdb1), and that works fine, but when I try the last option in the menu for "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)", the computer simply restarts.

I have a windows 7 disk, and I've read about restoring the MBR with that, but I prefer to do it with Linux / Grub, if possible.

I found /etc/default/grub, but I don't see anything in this file that looks like a list of options (ie, windows), so I assume there is another file somewhere to look at?

What should I do? Many thanks in advance. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: windows boot option loads linux mint

Post by jungle_boy »

Try in a terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
Reboot.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
thegreatgazoo

Post by thegreatgazoo »

So from your description of your disks, sda1 and sdb1, It looks like you have 2 drives.
sda=windows and sdb=linux
Now, windows 7 usually has 2 partitions a small 100MB partition in front, then the main partition afterwards.
So windows should really be on SDA2.

Try this, boot up and in grub choose the option to manually edit the windows line. Manually edit sda1 to say sda2 and see if it will boot now. If it does, it's easy to make it permanent.
perduta

Post by perduta »

Do as follows:
Boot your Linux Mint then open a command prompt and enter the following:

sudo os-prober
sudo update-grub

Next time you restart your computer it should giving you the choice which OS you want.

Note: Personally I disconnect the Windows drive when installing Linux because I just use my rom bios boot priority to choose which drive to boot from and I don't like the grubby menu. ;)

p.s. I keep all my own data files on a separate NTFS partition of my Windows drive so that if I need to reinstall either OS, it never affects my work.

Return to “Installation & Boot”