customize nemo ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oboedad55

customize nemo ?

Post by oboedad55 »

Hi, I'm running Mint 14 and was wondering if there is a way to customize the background colors in Nemo. For example, to change the black in the sidebar?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caribriz

Re: customize nemo ?

Post by caribriz »

Hi,
I've been experimenting with this and although I know very little about themes - maybe I can share my newbie experience
and hope that an expert will come along and help with this.

This is how I changed nemo's sidepane colour to blue (as an example) in LM14 Cinnamon (the quick 'n dirty way :P )

Go to /usr/share/themes and copy the Mint-X folder.
Go to /home folder > click View > Show hidden files
If .themes folder is not there already, create it (note the . dot)
Open .themes folder, right-click and Paste the copy of Mint-X folder
Rename the copy of Mint-X folder to (in my case) Mint-X-blue
Open Mint-X-blue > gtk3.0 > apps > nemo.css
In "sidebar" section of the file, change the background-color line from the default value #3F3F3F - so the line reads

Code: Select all

background-color: #2a5a8a;
Save the file, Close.

Go to Cinnamon Settings > Themes > Other settings > GTK+ theme
Click down arrow, choose Mint-X-blue
Close
Open /home folder to see something like this (may have to logout/in).

If you just want to change the sidepane colour - that's all you would have to do.

I didn't want the green "highlights" on the sidepane, but I didn't know which files to edit in Mint-X-blue. :(

So I changed it in dconf-editor instead
(you can install it from Software Manager - search for dconf-tools, or install from terminal - enter sudo apt-get install dconf-tools)

Open dconf-editor
Click down arrow next to:
org > gnome > desktop > click interface
Click on gtk-color-scheme line, then click it again to the right of gtk-color-scheme - under black:white:gray etc.

I chose another shade of blue, and entered in the box, then pressed enter:

selected_bg_color:#74ade8;
After logout/in the green highlights shown in the first picture were changed to blue.

I did some further editing in dconf-editor to change the background of windows and programs -
Appended the gtk-color-scheme line to read:

selected_bg_color:#74ade8;bg_color:#c8d5e1;
to get this result:

I also changed the nemo window background colour this way, by adding base_color:#d1d9e1;
on the end of the line as above. The background was then blue as well

- but
I found that this not only changed the file manager background, but also many other programs as well -
gedit had the coloured background and Firefox address bars were also changed for example - I didn't want this.

So I removed the base_color part on the gtk-color-scheme line, which left the background white.
I'd like to know how to just change nemo's background colour and leave the other programs alone.

It's far from perfect, but I'm reasonably happy with the effect.

I got some idea from here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/65759/ho ... lus-window

If you can't be bothered with the above - you may like these ready made themes:
http://www.fandigital.com/2012/08/zonco ... color.html

caribriz

Edit: I now know how to change the theme files. If interested check out this thread:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 21#p788921
Last edited by caribriz on Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
caribriz

Re: customize nemo ?

Post by caribriz »

Further to my post above:

I've been trying to learn about themes, and have done some more experimenting with my Mint-X-blue theme (above) in my ~/.themes folder.
I found that changing some settings in a theme can make some apps (Update Manager for one) look "ugly" - someone else described it as looking like Windows 95 :lol:

I found the solution here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/184683/h ... ic-manager

So I changed the gtk+ theme in Cinnamon Settings back to the default theme Mint-X.
Logged out/in
As root, I moved the folder "Mint-X-blue" from ~/.themes to /usr/share/themes.
Reselected Mint-X-blue in Cinnamon Settings.
Logged out/in
It seems to have fixed the problem - Update Manager and other programs now look right again.

Logging out/in after making any changes to a theme, or changing themes back and forth, seems to be necessary.

Return to “Beginner Questions”