trying install w8 and mint14

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
manuelrocha

trying install w8 and mint14

Post by manuelrocha »

I've tried to install linux mint14 in windows 8 but it gives me an error in the file linuxmint\winboot\wubildr.mbr and is there.
Any thought or solution?
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
robinhood

Re: trying install w8 and mint14

Post by robinhood »

i am newbe but i have installed linux mint 14 alongside win 7.
i dont know either any option available to install linux in win os.
linux provides option to instal alongside other os which is installed before her.
newyorkpaulie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by newyorkpaulie »

I've been successful doing the same thing. I installed VistaBiz (win-7) first, then installed mint-14 (Mate) alongside. Everything works great. At bootup I get a menu choice for win or linux.
Running Linux Mint Mate 20.3 on a T61 ThinkPad.
everready

Post by everready »

newyorkpaulie wrote:I've been successful doing the same thing. I installed VistaBiz (win-7) first, then installed mint-14 (Mate) alongside. Everything works great. At bootup I get a menu choice for win or linux.
Maybe you could share your success with the others, some haven't been as fortunate as you.. :)

Thanks..
everready
Jim1938

Post by Jim1938 »

I successfully installed LM on a PC that has factory-installed Win8.
My PC is an HP2000 laptop I bought in March 2013.

**Things you need to know FIRST.**
Know how to restore Win8 in case of a f__k up.
You need to partition using Win8's partitioning system.
It is different (of course!!) and you need it to make
a partition for Linux using Win8 disk management.

Once you start installing LM you can use LM's partition
manager to make swap, /, and any other Linux partition(s).

I followed the YouTube video by AvoidErrors,
“Dualboot Windows 8 with Linux Mint 14 Nadia by AvoidErrors”.
One thing different is my PC came with 4 Win partitions.
AvoidErrors said not to do it if you have 4.
His has only 2 partitions.
But I went ahead anyway.
First time with Ubuntu 12.10 Secure Boot.
Then later with LM15Cinnamon and LM15xfce.
All were successful and still installed and usable now.

I've installed other Linux distros here with less success.
That is why I recommend being able to restore Win8.

To boot Linux I have to press f9 to get to my boot menu.
Then from boot menu I select Ubuntu and get grub.
Otherwise my PC will boot to Win8 directly.
Win8 won't boot from grub even thou there is an entry.
Grub has a bunch of extra entries. Why? Don't know.

I use Ubuntu only for its Boot Repair program.
LM doesn't seem to have that program.
I use Win8 only for genealogy, since Linux's Gramps
genealogy program is not to my liking.

Another YouTube video by Channelintel (Intel Co.)
“Practical UEFI Secure Boot” explains a bit about UEFI.
It is a 3-part series with part 3 installing Linux.

Good Luck,
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

One thing different is my PC came with 4 Win partitions.
But I went ahead anyway
if that 4th partition is D: data,
then that can be safely used for a 'nix install ..
ie:- wiped & re-used.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

manuelrocha wrote:I've tried to install linux mint14 in windows 8 but it gives me an error in the file linuxmint\winboot\wubildr.mbr and is there.
If your computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 (and perhaps if you installed it yourself), then it's booting in [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uefi]EFI/UEFI[/url] mode rather than in the older BIOS mode. The reference to wubildr.mbr indicates that you were trying to set up the computer with what Ubuntu calls WUBI and that Mint refers to as (IIRC) Mint4Win. Unfortunately, WUBI/Mint4Win works only on a BIOS-mode boot, not on an EFI boot. AFAIK, there's no way around this limitation. Ultimately, there are three possible solutions to this problem:
  • Use a virtual machine (VirtualBox, VMWare, etc.) to run Mint inside Windows. This can be a good solution if you're just curious about Linux and don't want to risk messing up your Windows installation, or if you run Linux infrequently and don't need direct hardware access. There will be some performance cost, though, since both OSes will be demanding resources like RAM and CPU time simultaneously.
  • Boot Linux from a live CD or USB. Like the previous solution, this one poses minimal risks to your current installation. Since the Linux installation is on a slower medium, though, performance will suffer. You may also be limited in storing files.
  • Do a conventional side-by-side dual-boot installation. This will require you to either add a hard disk or shrink an existing disk partition to make room for Linux. Because of this, and because of the need to adjust your boot loader configuration, there's a small risk of rendering Windows unbootable, so backing up your important files is a worthwhile precaution.
Jim1938 has outlined a procedure for the last of these options. There are many other tutorials available on the Web; Google for them.
Jim1938 wrote:One thing different is my PC came with 4 Win partitions.
The 4-partition limit is applicable to the old [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record]Master Boot Record (MBR)[/url] partitioning system, which Windows uses on BIOS-based computers. On EFI-based computers, Windows insists on using the newer [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table]GUID Partition Table (GPT)[/url] system, which has a limit of 128 partitions by default. (This limit can be raised if necessary.) Linux can use GPT on either EFI or BIOS-based computers, but on a dual-boot computer, your partition table type is determined by Windows' needs.

Return to “Installation & Boot”