my mint is now obsolete! help [SOLVED, sort of]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MHull

my mint is now obsolete! help [SOLVED, sort of]

Post by MHull »

HELP!! I've just learned that my version of Mint (11) became obsolete as of November...this explains why I haven't had any updates since then. I have been advised to install a new version. I can't remember how to do this and since I'm obviously not an expert at this....can someone help me with instructions to put a new version of Mint on my EeePC 1000??
I dumped the original os about a year and a half ago to put Mint on thanks to the help of some kind soul here on the Forum who provided me with idiot proof instructions and screen shots but I can't remember how to do it. :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kingnick42

Re: my mint is now obsolete! help

Post by kingnick42 »

I would advise upgrading to Linux Mint 13, as it is a LTS version supported until 2017. Download the ISO (either 64bit or 32bit depending on your computer), from http://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=18. Pick whichever disktop you want (MATE, Cinnamon, KDE). Then burn it to a DVD.

Edit - I've had a look and 64bit should work fine.

Before I advise you on how to install, please answer this question.
Do you have a / and a /home partition, or just a / partition. If you aren't sure, please download gparted from the software manager, and take a screenshot of your partition list.

Regards,
Kingnick42
thegreatgazoo

Post by thegreatgazoo »

1. Back up all your stuff

2. Download newer mint. I so
I recommend mint 13 mate 32 bit
Works great on my eeepc 901, and version 13 is supported longer, so you won't have to worry about upgrading again for a while.

3. Install unetbootin from the repositories.

4.Use unetbooton to install the image to the USB drive.

5.Boot up with USB drive

6. Click install mint icon

7. Choose option to replace your old installation with new one.

8. Once installed, copy personal files back.

If you need more info on any of the steps, feel free to write back. Also let us know how it went.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
MHull

Post by MHull »

Thanks for the suggestions. Burning a DVD is a bit beyond my capabilities given that I don't have a disk drive on my EeePC! It is the 1000 version
And sorry to be so useless, but could you take me through the process using the exact steps including commands so I don't make any mistakes? Thanks again.
I do have USB sticks so can use those for the procedure but I'd feel more comfortable following explicit instructions which spell things out at idiot level. :?
MHull

Post by MHull »

ummm, how do I make a screen shot of something? I downloaded gparted but don't know how to take a screen shot :(
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

The screenshot application is under the menu, often named "Screenshot" :) Or you can press the PrtScr key on your laptop keyboard to take screenshots immediately. On my HP it's Fn+Insert.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Use unetbootin to make a bootable USB. Just point it to your downloaded ISO, and to your USB stick. It becomes pretty obvious what you have to do when you open it. I'm pretty sure it's in the package manager. Alternatively, if you downloaded the ISO on windows, have a look at Linux Live USB.
Regardless of whether you have a separate /home partition (not likely depending on which tutorial you used) you still need to backup all your data. A complete system image would be preferred, but just backing up the files you want to keep onto a external hard drive or USB stick is sufficient.
MHull

Post by MHull »

Screenshot.png
ok, here is my attempt at the screenshot for what it's worth.
wiugrad2010

Post by wiugrad2010 »

MHull wrote:HELP!! I've just learned that my version of Mint (11) became obsolete as of November...this explains why I haven't had any updates since then. I have been advised to install a new version. I can't remember how to do this and since I'm obviously not an expert at this....can someone help me with instructions to put a new version of Mint on my EeePC 1000??
I dumped the original os about a year and a half ago to put Mint on thanks to the help of some kind soul here on the Forum who provided me with idiot proof instructions and screen shots but I can't remember how to do it. :?

Here is the howto from the mint team/community. http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

follow this thread http://ubuntupop.blogspot.com/2012/09/l ... -mint.html and you'll be fine :D :D

BTW you can do the same with usb-imagewriter it's easier! And don't forget Mint recommends a fresh installation and does not recommend upgrades! :D :D Enjoy your new OS! :D :D
MHull

Post by MHull »

Sorry, but I've tried all of your suggestions. The first link suggests burning a dvd which I cannot do. I have backed up all of my data and cleared a 8gb USB stick for use. I have installed Unetbootin but the distribution choices do not go up as far as Linux 13. I cannot find the USB-imagewriter which is supposed to now be installed. :( As I said, I need idiot proof, not links to other sites which are very hard to understand.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

MHull wrote:Sorry, but I've tried all of your suggestions. The first link suggests burning a dvd which I cannot do. I have backed up all of my data and cleared a 8gb USB stick for use. I have installed Unetbootin but the distribution choices do not go up as far as Linux 13. I cannot find the USB-imagewriter which is supposed to now be installed. :( As I said, I need idiot proof, not links to other sites which are very hard to understand.
Hmm... follow this video http://youtu.be/pq2bsTh_dDs How to use unetbootin to make a liveusb
Its for windows BUT the Unetbootin is exactly the same

Also see my sig for several videos on how to install mint via usb
MHull

Post by MHull »

Ok, I seem to have managed to install Linux Mint 13 on my usb stick. Now how do I get my computer to boot up using the stick? I have tried changing the priority to the stick in the BIOS menu but it still comes up with the old version of Linux so it's not booting from the stick. Suggestions? Am getting cross-eyed trying to figure this out!
marsh20
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marsh20 »

Hiya,

Joining this late I know but, does the download need to be "extracted"? Not sure as I use YUMI as I find that even more idiot proof (ie ideal for me).
Think about the "undo" before you "do".
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

marsh20 wrote:Hiya,

Joining this late I know but, does the download need to be "extracted"? Not sure as I use YUMI as I find that even more idiot proof (ie ideal for me).
No
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

MHull wrote:Ok, I seem to have managed to install Linux Mint 13 on my usb stick. Now how do I get my computer to boot up using the stick? I have tried changing the priority to the stick in the BIOS menu but it still comes up with the old version of Linux so it's not booting from the stick. Suggestions? Am getting cross-eyed trying to figure this out!
As you boot before the grub screen you need to look at the screen it'll tell you something like F2 for Bios and F12 for boot order .... press F12 if that's what it says, yours may differ.
MHull

Post by MHull »

all mine says is press F2 for startup and press Tab for BIOS message but when I press tab nothing happens.
MHull

Post by MHull »

the BIOS message screen flashes up and is gone so fast I am unable to read the whole message. Any ideas how to pause it so I can actually see what it says? :?:
cecar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cecar »

Steps:
1. Turn off your Eee PC.
2. Turn it back on, tap F2 immediately. This should get you into the BIOS Setup menu.
3. Scroll over to the "Boot" tab.
4. Select "Boot Settings Configuration".
5. Use the minus key to change "Quick Boot" to Disabled.
6. Press F10 to Save and Exit.

Upon rebooting, hit Esc and you will be presented with a Boot Device selection menu.
MHull

Post by MHull »

Yay! thanks that worked, but unfortunately it says something doesn't have enough space/mem so will have to start over again with the 32 bit version I guess.... :roll:

Return to “Beginner Questions”