[Bug Report] URLs can not be dragged to desktop from Chrome

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BlackFox

[Bug Report] URLs can not be dragged to desktop from Chrome

Post by BlackFox »

In windows, to copy a url to the desktop I would just drag the URL from the address bar to the desktop. Done.

From my experience in Cinnamon that is not possible, the only way to get a URL onto your desktop is to copy the URl, click a bunch of gui buttons to create a desktop launcher, then manually type in a title, and if you want the appropriate flavicon icon you have to search the website source code to find the flavicon, then download that, and then edit the launcher file in a text editor.

I'm I the only one who thinks this is absolutely ridiculous. Is there a simpler way ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Is there a easy way to copy URLs to the desktop????

Post by xenopeek »

If I drag a link on some webpage to my desktop, it creates a link just fine. The same if I drag the identity icon in the address bar to the desktop (the leftmost icon, either a world globe or a closed padlock). Perhaps some other actions do not do what you expect.
741cc

Re: Is there a easy way to copy URLs to the desktop????

Post by 741cc »

Don't you have to enable "let Nautilus/Nemo handle the desktop" in the settings window?
BlackFox

[Bug Report] URLs can not be dragged onto the desktop from C

Post by BlackFox »

This problems seems to be dependent on which browser you are using, with Firefox it works as expected, however it does not work at all with Chrome or Chromium. This is strange behavior since that ability is probably controlled by the operating system not the browser.

I think we can call this a Linux Mint bug, mods can move this thread to the appropriate location.

741cc wrote:Don't you have to enable "let Nautilus/Nemo handle the desktop" in the settings window?
I could not find any such setting, if this actually exists please tell me where this setting is located

Kernel: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic (x86_64)
Compiled: #28-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 9 19:31:23 UTC 2012
Default C Compiler: GNU C Compiler version 4.7.2 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.7.2-2ubuntu1)
Distribution: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Desktop Environment: Cinnamon
File manager: Nemo 1.1.2
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: [Bug Report] URLs can not be dragged to desktop from Chr

Post by xenopeek »

Hmm. Wait, so it works fine with Firefox (sorry, I missed you were using Chrome and tested with Firefox) but it doesn't work from Chrome, but somehow it is a bug in Linux Mint? Nope, I'm not convinced. Applications like LibreOffice and Firefox are already well known to integrate poorly with the Linux desktop (not observing locale settings for one), and I think Chrome is similar. This seems to be an issue with Chrome poorly integrating with the Linux desktop, not the other way around.

Return to “Beginner Questions”