Open as administrator broken (Solved)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Open as administrator broken (Solved)

Post by chiefjim »

Somehow I screwed this one up. A little background.

I had been using the application FSLint to clean up the system. Sometimes it would not go to the folders I selected. A work around was to use sudo first.

Now if I try selecting Open as administrator (OAS) for something else FSLint wants to initialize. Using synaptic I removed FSLint and rebooted. OAS still tries to use a now non-existent application.

Other than reinstalling from scratch is there a alternate way to correct this association?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
nomko

Re: Open as administrator broken

Post by nomko »

My best guess is that FLint screwed up your system in such way that a fresh/clean install is the only solution. I've used that program too and had almost the same result. After removing for some unknown reason some applications or actions still tried to open FLint. Now i'm using Bleachbit as clean-up tool which works like a charm!
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

I looked at Bleachbit before but did not find a search capabilty for duplicates, which happens to be my primary function.
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
viking777

Post by viking777 »

chiefjim, I don't know the answer to your question, but as Mint Main now has two default file managers (Caja and Nemo) you are going to need to tell us which one you are using before anyone can even attempt an answer.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

viking777 wrote:chiefjim, I don't know the answer to your question, but as Mint Main now has two default file managers (Caja and Nemo) you are going to need to tell us which one you are using before anyone can even attempt an answer.
I was overdue creating a signature panel. system in question is the desktop.
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
nomko

Post by nomko »

Finding duplicate files can also be one with fdupes: http://gnuwhatimsaying.com/find-duplica ... th-fdupes/. How to use it: http://finddup.sourceforge.net/usage.html.
gorade
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gorade »

This seems to be my problem too. I tried (in vain) to use f-spot for uploading pictures from my camera. Now "open as administrator" tries to open f-spot instead of caja-gksu.
Making a clean install is already tried :) that had no effect. Nautilus with nautilus-gksu didn't do it either.

If i knew which conf-file has changed the command from caja-gksu to f-spot, I could change that, but I don't have a clue
nomko

Post by nomko »

gorade wrote:Making a clean install is already tried
How did you do it? Completely fresh/clean install over the existing installation or did ou removed the partition containing Mint first?? If you just run the setup over an existing version, then there's a big change that you are still stuck with some screwed up configuration files.
gorade
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gorade »

gorade wrote:This seems to be my problem too. I tried (in vain) to use f-spot for uploading pictures from my camera. Now "open as administrator" tries to open f-spot instead of caja-gksu.
Making a clean install is already tried :) that had no effect. Nautilus with nautilus-gksu didn't do it either.

If i knew which conf-file has changed the command from caja-gksu to f-spot, I could change that, but I don't have a clue
Heureka! in the mate-control-center I opened "prefered programs" > System and there it was File Manager was set to that darn F-spot so I just changed it to Caja.

I solved the problem but made a fool of myself. That's worth it (at times :) )
gorade
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gorade »

nomko wrote:
gorade wrote:Making a clean install is already tried
How did you do it? Completely fresh/clean install over the existing installation or did ou removed the partition containing Mint first?? If you just run the setup over an existing version, then there's a big change that you are still stuck with some screwed up configuration files.

Sorry, I didn't see your answer before I had posted. The /home is on a partition of its own with .files and all. All programs in the / partition formatted. So I inferred the rub lie in some configuration at home. I still don't know exactly where, but that doesn't matter now as the problem resolved itself into a dew.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Open as administrator broken (Solved)

Post by chiefjim »

Solved it by reinstalling. Fortunately not too demanding as I had a current remaster available.
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258

Return to “Software & Applications”