Putting Windows XP into A Virtual Box

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tlcmd

Putting Windows XP into A Virtual Box

Post by tlcmd »

Has anyone had problems putting Windows XP SP 3 into a Virtual Box.
I have a Pentium 2.66 MHz CPU with 2 Gigs of Ram and a 320 Gig HDD. Planning to switch to LMDE completely and put Windows XP SP3 into a Virtual Box for the 2 programs I can't get to run on LMDE.
Has anyone done this and if so, what kind of problems did they run into??

And yes, my data is backed up completely on an external HDD.

Thanks,
tlcmd (aka) Dick
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Putting Windows XP into A Virtual Box

Post by SiKing »

I do this all the time, with no problems. Although your 2GB of RAM is going to make the machine a bit lazy I would suspect.
nomko

Post by nomko »

I get almost every OS running under VirtualBox. But you mentioned if others ran into problems, do you have problems? And if so, what kind of problems?
2 gig of main memory sounds not much if you consider that Linux requires memory to load the basic required packages, VirtualBox requires memory to run and even Windows XP requires at least 1 gig of memory to run smoothly...
tlcmd

Post by tlcmd »

Thanks for the replies. I have not tried to do this yet, but was doing "my homework" for when I make the attempt. Knowing of existing pitfalls will at least allow me to find some new ones. I'm on the verge (tomorrow??)

One question for which I have not found an answer: When I am running a playlist on J.Rivers Media Jukebox in the VirtualBox on Windows XP, can I then concurrently run my email, searches, office suite,etc on LMDE?

(I'm lazy and do not wish to recreate my playlists on a jukebox program which runs on Linux as I have over 10k songs already so organized on my JRivers Media Jukebox, and as of now, there are no programs (WINE or Crossover) I can find to make this transition. Hence the need to have my Windows XP available to run concurrently with LMDE. Nor will the playlists copy into the programs like Banshee, etc.

Thanks for the info. BTW, LMDE runs very well with a dual boot with Windows XP on my 11 year old computer with 160 G HDD, 1536 RAM, and a 1.4 MHz Athlon chip.So I have high hopes of Windows XP running well within LMDE on this 2.66 MHz Dual Core Pentium with 2 Gigs of RAM.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

tlcmd wrote:
One question for which I have not found an answer: When I am running a playlist on J.Rivers Media Jukebox in the VirtualBox on Windows XP, can I then concurrently run my email, searches, office suite,etc on LMDE?

Yes, when you run XP in virtualbox, you can run its programs AT THE SAME TIME run other in Linux host.

However you need to be awared you are sharing RAM..
and virtualbox took out a lot of RAM.

Just FYI, each time I install XP onto Linux's virtualbox, I use 512M for guess OS, because I do not run too many heavy program on XP.
tlcmd

Post by tlcmd »

Thanks for the replies. I would not have thought of assigning only 512 of RAM to Windows XP in the virtual box.
nomko

Post by nomko »

tlcmd wrote:Thanks for the replies. I would not have thought of assigning only 512 of RAM to Windows XP in the virtual box.
Keep in mind that VB has a limitation of how much main memory you are allowed to use. i thought it is/was maxi 50% of the main memory which you can assign.

Return to “LMDE Archive”