Can't Install Mint 14 on Samsung NP305E5A Laptop. SOLVED.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Can't Install Mint 14 on Samsung NP305E5A Laptop. SOLVED.

Post by grizwald »

Hi All,
I have a Samsung NP305E5a laptop with Mint 13 installed. After Mint 13 had initially installed, I had to add drivers for the AMD Radeon graphics card to correct screen distortion. A message appeared advising there were proprietary drivers available - I installed them and all was well.
Tried to install Mint 14 Cinnamon and the process stalled during the initial loading stage. Screen just froze on black with small cursor on left side of screen. I'm curious if the problem could be related to the graphics card used. It would seem the generic screen driver available with Mint 13 iso is absent with Mint 14. Has ANYONE managed to install Mint 14 on their Samsung NP305E5A laptop?

Thanks for any help.

G.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Can't Install Mint 14 on Samsung NP305E5A Laptop.

Post by grizwald »

And the story continues....

Tried to install another unrelated distribution of linux as a test and found similar problems - all related to the radion video card. Went to the local electronic store and found MOST of their latest model laptops had this video card fitted. IF nothing is done to support this video hardware the improving popularity of Linux will plunge. I'm not too impressed with the knowledge that I cannot upgrade above Mint 13 in my laptop because of this.
Why cannot a generic video driver for this hardware be included within the Mint 14 [and later] versions of Mint as is done for Mint 13?
Jees, I'd even do it myself if I knew how.

G.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Can't Install Mint 14 on Samsung NP305E5A Laptop.

Post by grizwald »

The problem has been solved by the release of Mint 17 and 17.1, these releases include the video drivers required.

G.

Return to “Hardware Support”