VPN service failed to start

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
paupitz

VPN service failed to start

Post by paupitz »

Hi

I am using Mint 14. I am finding a problem to connect to VPN. After configuring the VPN connection I try to connect and get this error:

The VPN connection 'NAME_OF_VPN' failed because the VPN service failed to start.

I have installed

network-manager-pptp
pptp-linux

Can someone help me with this issue?

Thank you very much.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sammiev

Re: VPN service failed to start

Post by sammiev »

What provider are you using?
snison

Post by snison »

Try ./etc/ppp/ip-u and look in /var/log/syslog /var/log/syslog.1 for any errors
paupitz

Post by paupitz »

Thanks for the answers,

Could you tell me what you mean by the provider? I am at home try to access the university VPN service.

I could do this using mint 12, got the problem after upgrading to mint 14

Also I tried:

/etc/ppp/ip-up

Go this error:

resolvconf: Error: Initial dot not allowed in interface record name
run-parts: /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/000resolvconf exited with return code 1
paupitz

Post by paupitz »

These are the errors related to VPN service obtained from /var/log/syslog

Jan 23 20:20:43 pglllinux NetworkManager[917]: <info> Starting VPN service 'pptp'...
Jan 23 20:20:43 pglllinux NetworkManager[917]: <info> VPN service 'pptp' started (org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.pptp), PID 2729
Jan 23 20:20:43 pglllinux NetworkManager[917]: <info> VPN service 'pptp' appeared; activating connections
Jan 23 20:20:43 pglllinux NetworkManager[917]: <info> VPN plugin state changed: starting (3)
Jan 23 20:20:43 pglllinux NetworkManager[917]: <info> VPN connection 'VPN_UNESP' (Connect) reply received.
Jan 23 20:20:43 pglllinux NetworkManager[917]: <warn> VPN connection 'VPN_UNESP' failed to connect: 'couldn't look up PPTP VPN gateway IP address MY_VPN_ADDRESS' (-5)'.
Jan 23 20:20:43 pglllinux NetworkManager[917]: <info> Policy set 'PGLL' (wlan0) as default for IPv4 routing and DNS.
Jan 23 20:20:43 pglllinux NetworkManager[917]: <warn> error disconnecting VPN: Could not process the request because no VPN connection was active.
Jan 23 20:20:48 pglllinux NetworkManager[917]: <info> VPN service 'pptp' disappeared

MY_VPN_ADDRESS -> I removed my vpn address from the post
paupitz

Post by paupitz »

Hi Guys

I solved the problem. The problem was with Authentication Method settings.

I selected all the authentication methods

PAP
CHAP
MSCHAP
MSCHAPv2
EAP

Thank you

Return to “Networking”