New Version type for Linux Mint 14 (browsers)

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Jessey Lawson
Level 3
Level 3

New Version type for Linux Mint 14 (browsers)

Post by Jessey Lawson »

I know many who read this are going to be saying "What!" Whell the fact is linux mint is better then Windows, but it has suport for 3 years compared to Windows 4-8 years. Now I think that in Linux Mint 14 or a special version of 13, Users would be able to have all of Mints internet browsers and radio programs out of the box. I my self know this would be verry usefull, because new users will be frustrated and confused tring to find the browser they want on the softwear site. Browsers that should be included:
Dooble
Firefox
Opera
Google Chrome
Chomium
Elinks
Elinks 2
Greenbrowser
Arora
Surf
Midori
Konqueror
Epiphany
Rekonq
Galeon
Kazehakase
Flock
bimsebasse

Re: New Version type for Linux Mint 14 (browsers)

Post by bimsebasse »

Madness! Madness!
igor83

Post by igor83 »

What about Tencent Traveler? :lol:

Software Manager is not that hard to use. My grandmother could use it.
Mozenrath

Post by Mozenrath »

Actually, I think this is a pretty good idea. At least for the DVD version, anyway.

Once a user is finished with the main part of the installation menu and while the system is installing, it could ask you something like "Want to choose which browsers you want?" and you can either ignore it and the installation will keep going or you can select it and pick your browsers.

It's not all that useful, but not all that bad to be honest.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Jessey Lawson wrote:Browsers that should be included:
Internet Exploder under wine.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

TehGhodTrole wrote:
Jessey Lawson wrote:Browsers that should be included:
Internet Exploder under wine.
:mrgreen:
Uhh, I just felt very queezy
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
brmccarty

Post by brmccarty »

Jessey Lawson wrote:... because new users will be frustrated and confused tring to find the browser they want on the softwear site.
I'm sorry, but if opening software manager, typing the name of a browser in the search bar, double clicking it, and clicking install is confusing life must be completely overwhelming.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

brmccarty wrote:
Jessey Lawson wrote:... because new users will be frustrated and confused tring to find the browser they want on the softwear site.
I'm sorry, but if opening software manager, typing the name of a browser in the search bar, double clicking it, and clicking install is confusing life must be completely overwhelming.
I got frustrated trying to find the trouser I want in the softwear site.
Probably need to organize the closet.
Lone.Wolf

Post by Lone.Wolf »

The choice of browsers is not a bad idea in that a user coming from the windows side can install the browser they are use to easing the learning curve to some degree. Either using the installer or a browser manager would be the way to go I would think, because if you just install them all then you have a lot of space wasted. Personally I like the installer approach the best.

When ever I am installing Linux for a windows user I always ask them what browser do they use. Unless it is IE I install the browser the are use to, if it is IE then they get the default install browser.
Jessey Lawson
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jessey Lawson »

brmccarty wrote:
No one would want to do that. I don't mind, but the Linux noobs aka the people we are trying to get to switch won't. They would not even know what to do, let alone want to. Most exWindows users would want something to work out of the box. I think Mint should at least allow you to download them like you can do in Zorin. I know Zorin looks like Windows, but I find Mint more better looking and I like Cinnamon over KDE and Gnome 2. NO forum mods I will not give it up!
Jessey Lawson
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jessey Lawson »

igor83 wrote:What about Tencent Traveler? :lol:

Yet none of my teachers or fellow Classmates would not.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

If this was going to happen it would have to be at install and allow the user to choose which one/s they want installed (sort of like picking a language).
If you install all these browsers as default, all that is going to happen is a forum filled with complaints, that would mean making a trip to the software manager clicking remove a whole lot of times, I use one maybe two or three at the very most, anything I don't need gets removed.
If the new user that didn't want a huge list of browsers didn't know how to use a software manager to install them, would not know how to remove them either and seeing a huge list of browsers in their menu, naw, just can't see that working.
The idea of picking and choosing at install sounded good though, saves removing afterwards or installing afterwards.
Jessey Lawson
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jessey Lawson »

I think Mint should have its own browser.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

Jessey Lawson wrote:
igor83 wrote:What about Tencent Traveler? :lol:

Yet none of my teachers or fellow Classmates would not.
Well, granny weren't too slow on the uptake, rest her soul.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”