[Solved]: Getting Windows 7 64-bit to run in Virtualbox

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leviticus8908

[Solved]: Getting Windows 7 64-bit to run in Virtualbox

Post by leviticus8908 »

I am a newbie running a Linux Mint 13/64-bit/MATE edition.

I need to use Visual Studio for a class so I need to have a virtual Windows system. I burned Windows 7 64-bit on a disk. When I try to create a VM for it, at least three unusual things happen:

1. I do not have the option to select between 32-bit and 64-bit machines [e.g. I just get "Windows 7"]
2. I am told that 'The virtual machine window is optimized to work in 32 bit color mode but the virtual display is currently set to 24 bit'
3. After the files are loaded I get a failure message saying that I am 'attempting to load a 64-bit application but this CPU is not compatible with 64-bit mode'

I found a similar topic to this issue but it seemed like parts of the conversation were missing so I was confused. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ox#p643814

P.S.
I am running VirtualBox Version 4.1.12

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bb333

Re: Getting Windows 7 64-bit to run in Virtualbox

Post by bb333 »

1. It's listed in the drop down list. "Windows 7" = 32bit ; "Windows 7 (64bit)" = 64bit
You have to install Windows from an install disc.

2. Ignore it.

a. You have a 32bit CPU or it doesn't support hardware virtualization

Code: Select all

egrep -c '(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo
0 = install 32bit windows and it will be slow
1 or more = any version and it will be fast

b. You didn't enable virtualization in your BIOS
c. You didn't enable hardware support for VT in virtual box. Create a machine and enable it. (settings -> System -> Acceleration)

If you can't enable this here, it's probably still not enabled in your BIOS.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

1. I do not have the option to select between 32-bit and 64-bit machines [e.g. I just get "Windows 7"]
2. I am told that 'The virtual machine window is optimized to work in 32 bit color mode but the virtual display is currently set to 24 bit'
3. After the files are loaded I get a failure message saying that I am 'attempting to load a 64-bit application but this CPU is not compatible with 64-bit mode'
#1 & #3 are occurring because you have a 32bit vbox installed. Either you downloaded and installed the wrong version of vbox or your machine is 32bit.

#2 is normal. Ignore it.
Thanks in advance.
Get [censored] in advance :mrgreen:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

Note that in order to run 64-bit VMs, your computer's processor must support hardware virtualization. For Intel check this link for a list of supported model: http://ark.intel.com/Products/VirtualizationTechnology, for AMD go to the product page and check :)
And have you tried enabling I/O APIC for this machine? It's under Settings - General - Advanced.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

This is for mine, I presume that yours will be similar. :)

For an Asus M5A88-M mobo with an AMD FX6100 CPU, the correct BIOS selection is in the 'CPU Configuration' (under the Advanced tab), ENABLE "Secure Virtual Machine Mode" Make sure VBox "Settings -> System -> Acceleration" and make sure that "Enable VT-x/AMD-V" is activated. Then make sure you allocate 2 cores to the vm - Settings>System>Processor
leviticus8908

Post by leviticus8908 »

abnvolk wrote:Note that in order to run 64-bit VMs, your computer's processor must support hardware virtualization. For Intel check this link for a list of supported model: http://ark.intel.com/Products/VirtualizationTechnology, for AMD go to the product page and check :)
And have you tried enabling I/O APIC for this machine? It's under Settings - General - Advanced.
Well, I guess that explains it. I have a Intel Core2 Duo Processor T5550. It's listed as a "No" for both categories. What confuses me though, is that I was able to install and run Windows XP 32-bit through VirtualBox. I found out that the edition that I installed was not compatible with the software I needed to use so I tried Windows 7. So maybe I can run 32-bit versions, but not 64-bit? Right now my business school has a deal with Microsoft where we can download any edition of Windows for free, so getting access to different Windows editions is definitely not a problem right now. I just don't want to waste time trying and installing a bunch of versions that won't work. The oldest version of Windows I can use is Windows XP (x86) with Service Pack 3.
bb333

Post by bb333 »

leviticus8908 wrote:
abnvolk wrote:Note that in order to run 64-bit VMs, your computer's processor must support hardware virtualization. For Intel check this link for a list of supported model: http://ark.intel.com/Products/VirtualizationTechnology, for AMD go to the product page and check :)
Well, I guess that explains it. I have a Intel Core2 Duo Processor T5550. It's listed as a "No" for both categories. What confuses me though, is that I was able to install and run Windows XP 32-bit through VirtualBox. I found out that the edition that I installed was not compatible with the software I needed to use so I tried Windows 7. So maybe I can run 32-bit versions, but not 64-bit? Right now my business school has a deal with Microsoft where we can download any edition of Windows for free, so getting access to different Windows editions is definitely not a problem right now. I just don't want to waste time trying and installing a bunch of versions that won't work. The oldest version of Windows I can use is Windows XP (x86) with Service Pack 3.
no VT: 32bit versions only. Slower than native CPU.
VT: 32bit or 64bit. As fast as if you were running windows by itself.

Get any 32bit version.
leviticus8908

Post by leviticus8908 »

no VT: 32bit versions only. Slower than native CPU.
VT: 32bit or 64bit. As fast as if you were running windows by itself.

Get any 32bit version.
Alright. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”