Don't know which to use

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
notthenewsreader

Don't know which to use

Post by notthenewsreader »

Hi guys, can anyone suggest whether I should use mint cinnamon or LMDE cinnamon. I really don't know which to go for.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Don't know which to use

Post by wayne128 »

notthenewsreader wrote:Hi guys, can anyone suggest whether I should use mint cinnamon or LMDE cinnamon. I really don't know which to go for.
If you do not know , especially not yet use Debian based, then, go for the Mint13-cinnamon.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

wayne128 wrote:If you do not know , especially not yet use Debian based, then, go for the Mint13-cinnamon.
Why not 14?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Like Wayne said, if you're not that familiar with Debian, don't use LMDE. Debian is a bit more for advanced users. It need's more tweaking and twisting and turning before it runs the way you like it. On the other hand, you probably going to learn much more about Linux when using Debian. Mint works direct out-of-the-box without a lot of tweaking and fiddling. Mint is a real easy-to-use operating system which doesn't requires a high level of intelligence. Everybody can use it immediately. Of course you need to install your favourite programs and set up your email, but that is simple and you can get all the help here.

If this is your first time with Linux, i would advise you to use Linux Mint with Cinnamon. And use version 14 of Mint which comes with Cinnamon 1.6. This Cinnamon version is much stable and contains lesser bugs than Mint 13.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

I'm planning to install Cinnamon, but I thought it would be better to go with 13 because it is the long term support version. If I install 13 and enable backports, will the Cinnamon desktop get upgraded to the latest version 14 while still keeping the LTS version 13 for the main OS ?
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
nomko

Post by nomko »

slipstick wrote:I'm planning to install Cinnamon, but I thought it would be better to go with 13 because it is the long term support version. If I install 13 and enable backports, will the Cinnamon desktop get upgraded to the latest version 14 while still keeping the LTS version 13 for the main OS ?
Yes, if you enable the backports package, then you can upgrade your Cinnamon from 1.4 to versions 1.6. Remember to uncheck the backports package after updating your Cinnamon. Some packages in the backports repo might cause an unwanted effect on your system such as instability problems.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

@nomko

Thanks for the tip.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”