make k3b my default burner in mint 13 MATE ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ritchi

make k3b my default burner in mint 13 MATE ?

Post by ritchi »

Hi can I make K3b my default burner? When I put a blank cd/dvd in my machine, a window pops up telling me I have no program to open the disk. I know I have brasero and I installed K3b how can I make K3b my default burner program in Mint 13 MATE ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Re: make k3b my default burner in mint 13 MATE ?

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

In Caja >Edit >Preferences>Media click on DVD (or/and CD) choose Open with other application choose k3b and now it should now be set as your default burner.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
ritchi

Post by ritchi »

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately it's the same story here the actions menu is grayed out. (does not see k3b)
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

Maybe you need to remove and the reinstall k3b or brasero. As far as I know Mate has brasero and CD/DVd Creator by default. if brasero doesn't open the dvd than cd/Dvd creator should do so. Did you remove CD/DVd maker by any chance? Have tried to open k3b or brasero then insert DVD to see if it recognizes it?
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
ritchi

Post by ritchi »

I think it's a bigger problem than just reinstalling k3b. Brasero is installed and it does not want to open a disk with it ether, furthermore when I put a disk in it does not want to open the disk with any program. and if I click on the disk Properties >> Permission it said “ The permissions of “CD/DVD Creator” could not be determined” I've checked the hard ware it see and knows the burner. It's no big deal really k3b runs fine just have to open it.
ajhmint

Post by ajhmint »

There must be a config file to change somewhere. I did not run into this problem with the default install of Mint MATE, but ran into it after removing brasero and installing another cd/dvd. The new program was not made the default.

With brasero, it is possible to select other cd/dvd burning software. BUT If brasero is removed, then this option is unavailable even after another cd/dvd burning software is installed.

A successful workaround is to install another cd burning utility, (in my case, K3B), then change the default from brasero to your other one (by inserting a blank disk).

After that is done, your other application will now be the default.

If I find out the easy way to do this, I will post it. (there must be a config file to simply change somewhere)
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

Ahh, thank you @ajhmint!

This little irritation has been bothering me ever since Mint 10. I use MATE, but I do a lot of burning and I greatly prefer K3B to the default Gnome/MATE burning apps.

Return to “Software & Applications”