how to integrate windows xp on Linux mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
godrama

how to integrate windows xp on Linux mint

Post by godrama »

Hi All,

I am currently using windows xp and linux mint on my laptop through dual boot mode.
I tried wine in the past to make windows applications run under Linux, but they haven't worked very well with my stock market webpage/tools that only runs on windows platform.

I wanted to know if there is any way I could run windows xp instance over linux mint (not a dual boot), something like a virtual machine or a VM. I want to run linux mint, but whenever there is a special requirement of using windows I should be able to switch over to windows while still keeping the Linux instance running.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Re: how to integrate windows xp on Linux mint

Post by raymerjacque »

install virtualbox

in terminal type :
sudo apt-get install virtualbox
then run virtualbox and choose new machine, go through prompts and install XP.
cplguy

Post by cplguy »

You could install Virtual Box. It's a OSS virtual computing environment. Open up a terminal, and run this command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install virtualbox
Enter in your password, and agree to install it. Launch it with either the GUI, or typing in "virtualbox" in the terminal.
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

I suggest installing the package from virtualbox.org, because VirtualBox in the repositiory is outdated.
Go here https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads then choose to download 4.2.6 for Linux, then choose the version of Ubuntu that corresponds to the version of Mint you're using. For example, Nadia: 12.10, Maya: 12.04 and so on. You should also download the Extension Pack for all platforms to add extra functionalities, such as USB handling.
Then, double-click the package you've downloaded. GDebi will pop up. Click Install Package and type your password, then wait for a moment for the installation to finish. You should see VirtualBox in the menu now :)
Finally, to install the Extension Pack for it, double-click the extension pack.
Done! Now you can add a virtual machine and set up Windows XP :D
godrama

Post by godrama »

Thank you very much for the help.

I installed virtualbox.

When I ran Virtualbox it asked me for windows xp bootable media, I pointed it to my CD-ROM that has a bootable windows xp.

virtualbox threw me an error, I attached the error screenshot to this message.

Please guide me.
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

Is the CD in the drive? Then you should choose "Host Drive" like this:
godrama

Post by godrama »

abnvolk wrote:Is the CD in the drive? Then you should choose "Host Drive" like this:

Thank you very much, It is working now. I appreciate all your help and time. Thanks again :)

It's so great, Now I will remove my windows boot partition and maintain only one partition in my laptop that has linux mint with virtualbox running windows xp :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”