<Solved> Kgpg - errors on startup - New installs.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grepnix

<Solved> Kgpg - errors on startup - New installs.

Post by grepnix »

I've recently switched to Linux Mint 13 KDE on both my laptop and desktop. Both of them fail when starting Kgpg with the following errors:-

"GnuPG failed to start.
You must fix the GnuPG error first before running KGpg."

"gpg: option file `/home/tony/.gnupg/options': No such file or directory"

Have tried creating a directory of that name but it still fails.

Any ideas?

Grepnix
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grepnix

Re: Kgpg - errors on startup - New installs.

Post by grepnix »

Found the answer following this thread over on the Kubuntu forum:-

http://tinyurl.com/b8gvh3d

Basically, you have to input the following command in a terminal:-

Code: Select all

kwriteconfig --file kgpgrc --group "GPG Settings" --key "gpg_config_path" --type string "$HOME/.gnupg/gpg.conf"
Cheers,
Grepnix
bazzaman

Re: <Solved> Kgpg - errors on startup - New installs.

Post by bazzaman »

Hi grepnix, please excuse my ignorance, but I do not know the conventions used in the post regarding command line. i.e. is it only the parts within brackets that are entered? I tried copying and pasting the whole thing, parts of it... etc. but no luck.
Does one have to be in sudo mode to do this?
If you have the time, might you help me out with a dummies-guide type step-by-step on how to enter these commands?
grepnix

Post by grepnix »

If you copied and pasted the whole command into a terminal and ran it then it should have done its job. I don't think you receive any feedback.

All it does is create a file called gpg.conf in your /home/bazzaman/,gnupg folder with the required config.
After I did that Kgpg started working...

Cheers,
Grepnix
bazzaman

Post by bazzaman »

This is what I get with a copy + paste: http://postimage.org/image/h3k6orkln/
bazzaman

Post by bazzaman »

Subsequent to the last post, I got an update notification... something I had not seen before, a blue icon on the kicker panel. Anyway I installed it, and saw "kgpg" amid the text scrolling by. So I thought it had installed the needed folder.
But I searched the file system with no luck.
The only thing that is different now, is that when I click on kgpg encrytion tool, a padlock icon bouces around for a few mintutes, trying to open something, then disappears.
grepnix

Post by grepnix »

If you click on the up arrow (Show hidden icons) in the system tray is KGpg there? If you click the icon you should get a key management dialogue window... This is after you've started it in the usual way...

Regards,
Grepnix
bazzaman

Post by bazzaman »

No KGpg icon in system tray i.e hidden icons after clicking on up arrow.
bazzaman

Post by bazzaman »

Wait... I got that wrong. I didn't realise exactly what you meant by 'after you've started it in the usual way'; since I never saw it actually start.
But after I tried to start it, and the padlock bounced around until it expired, I then checked the hidden icons and found the key manager.
So that's a good thing.
I see there is a KGpg manual in the help menu; so I will be getting into that.
Any tips on how to procede to learn how to encrypt pendrives and external hdd's?
There don't seem to be any tutorials on YouTube; so I am guessing that this is not a very popular format for encrytion.
Or any forum threads that you might know of. I only came across this thread by accident... my attempts to use the forum's search function provided nothing.
In any case, thanks for your help.
bazz
grepnix

Post by grepnix »

Have a look for Gnupg... Kgpg is just a GUI frontend to the commandline app.

It has a long history. Its mostly used to encrypt Individual files/archives and emails.

Cheers,
Grepnix
bazzaman

Post by bazzaman »

Thanks...

Return to “Software & Applications”