Sound not working in VLC [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ian Clarke

Sound not working in VLC [SOLVED]

Post by Ian Clarke »

My apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Linux Mint12, KDE.
This is part of an ongoing issue I have been having for the past couple of months. Everything was working fine with digital sound interface for a while then the power supply fan started making a noise whcih gradually got worse, I noticed the 3.3v output was below 3.0v and digital sound output failed so I replaced the PSU. The sound came back on everything exept for VLC (I have no idea if this is related). I have tried all the relevant suggestions in other threads, re-installed VLC plus the VLC-pulse plugin. I am using the Phonon sound server and every available option tests out fine and works fine with every other device and application but makes no difference to VLC. Nothing is muted and everything tests OK. Pulse Audio options are greyed out, presumably because I am using Phonon.

It seems to be that VLC is not connecting properly with the sound server and I have no idea what to do to fix it.
I am totally at a loss with this and resorting to using Gnome Player instead but I really want VLC to work. Any Ideas on how to go about getting it working ?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ian Clarke

Re: Sound not working in VLC

Post by Ian Clarke »

Strange that there is still no response to this question, did I post it in the wrong section ?
Ian Clarke

Re: Sound not working in VLC

Post by Ian Clarke »

Maybe I'm on the wrong forum, just found the VLC forum so will be posting again there if I can't find a thread that has solved this problem.
Ian Clarke

Re: Sound not working in VLC [SOLVED]

Post by Ian Clarke »

I have now fixed this problem, the output module had changed and changing it back to Unix OSS audio output solved the problem :D

Return to “Sound”