how to watch footbal online?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
monere
Level 4
Level 4

how to watch footbal online?

Post by monere »

hi,

what is the Linux version of Internet explorer + sopcast? Sopcast is a plugin for internet explorer (only!) that allows me to watch live football online. Since I am making the move Windows -> Linux I need something to allow me to continue watching the football like I was doing in Windows, but I don't know if there is such thing in Linux. Any tips?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grepnix

Re: how to watch footbal online?

Post by grepnix »

It is available on Linux... See here:-

http://www.sopcast.com/download/linux.html

Cheers,
Grepnix
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

grepnix wrote:It is available on Linux... See here:-

Cheers,
Grepnix
Cool! I didn't think it was available for Linux, as well. I just hoped it was, but I was almost ready to swear it's not available :)

Anyway, is there also IE for Linux? Or some alternative? Because Sopcast only works with IE as far as I know.
grepnix

Post by grepnix »

You don't need Internet Explorer (Another reason to love Linux) :D This is a standalone viewer...

Cheers,
Grepnix
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

grepnix wrote:You don't need Internet Explorer (Another reason to love Linux) :D This is a standalone viewer...

Cheers,
Grepnix
HA! Beautiful indeed :) Thanks man
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I may have to try that. I recently killed my tv tuner card and have been scrambling to find internet NFL ( yeah, that version of football ). I did find this URL though, it's a good backup. http://www.thefirstrow.eu/.
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

homerscousin wrote:I may have to try that. I recently killed my tv tuner card and have been scrambling to find internet NFL ( yeah, that version of football ). I did find this URL though, it's a good backup. http://www.thefirstrow.eu/.
How do you "killed" it? What exactly did you do to/with it??

Also, the link above is not the only one. I will give you 2 more that you can use but I don't know if these (your link and the 2 of mine) work on Linux. Anyway, here they are:

http://usagoals.com
http://day.to
http://atdee.net

3 actually but these have worked for me for the last 2 years or so. I could watch any event I wanted on these sites, in Windows though.
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

Cheers,
Grepnix
grepnix, can I ask you for step-by-step instructions on how to install this sopcast viewer? This really is the first time in my life I deal with Linux and it's all so confusing to me.I don't know where to start and what to do :)

Just give a "do this, then do that" type of guidance if its not too much trouble. I read the readme file inside the sopcast archive and I got lost at points 2 and 3:
2.library dependency
If you don't have stdc++ 5 in your system, please download the libstdcpp5.tgz from
http://www.sopcast.com, and copy the
libstdc++.so.5
libstdc++.so.5.0.1
to /usr/lib/

The copy command must be:
cp -a libstdc++.so.5* /usr/lib
With '-a' parameter, and you must login as root.

3.usage

A simple example of sp-sc command line.
./sp-sc-auth sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/6001 3908 8908 > /dev/null &
Start to transfer channel 6098, and you can play it on 8908 with VLC or mplayer
by open the url: http://localhost:8908/tv.asf
1) How do I check if I have stdc++ in my system?
2) How do I login as root?
3) where do I type that command (cp -a libstdc++ etc etc) in?
4) what do I do with that line of code at point 3? Should I keep it like it is and insert it somewhere or should I first modify something before inserting it wherever? What should I modify?

Please give as many details as possible as I have no idea what I should be doing. Installing stuff (heck! even checking if you have it on your computer) is waaaaay more complicated in linux than in windows :)

Thanks and I am waiting for your instructions!
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

monere, I'll tell you how I killed it. My computer is open frame and is usually on. One day I was putting clean clothes in draws etc. Grab a shirt or sweater, shake out the wrinkles, fold it and stuff it in a draw. Apparently a big ol fuzz bunny shook loose and landed on my tv tuner card. I didn't notice it for hours. When I saw it I pinched it with 2 fingers to pick it off. It caught on a component or thru hole lead so I pushed down a bit and tried again. Bad move. Must have been just enough ESD there to kill it while the rig was running. Linux won't even see the card now. I'm usually very careful, have an ESD wrist strap attached to the computer frame.
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

homerscousin wrote:monere, I'll tell you how I killed it. My computer is open frame and is usually on. One day I was putting clean clothes in draws etc. Grab a shirt or sweater, shake out the wrinkles, fold it and stuff it in a draw. Apparently a big ol fuzz bunny shook loose and landed on my tv tuner card. I didn't notice it for hours. When I saw it I pinched it with 2 fingers to pick it off. It caught on a component or thru hole lead so I pushed down a bit and tried again. Bad move. Must have been just enough ESD there to kill it while the rig was running. Linux won't even see the card now. I'm usually very careful, have an ESD wrist strap attached to the computer frame.
Huh?? :)

What are you talking about? lol I don't understand anything of what you're saying. That's how you killed what?
grepnix

Post by grepnix »

monere wrote:

Cheers,
Grepnix
grepnix, can I ask you for step-by-step instructions on how to install this sopcast viewer? This really is the first time in my life I deal with Linux and it's all so confusing to me.I don't know where to start and what to do :)
Thanks and I am waiting for your instructions!
Well, all I can tell you is what I did. I hope my memory is correct! Caveat is that I'm using Linux Mint 13 KDE. I don't know what you are using and whether it will work the same, or at all.

1) Add the following lines to your sources.list (This is in /etc/apt/)

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu precise main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu precise main

You'll need to use sudo (for root permissions).I don't know what text editor you have on your system. I put gedit but I use vi myself. So, in a terminal type:-

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
Add the two above lines (Starting deb and deb-src) then save and close.

2) Add gpg keys:-

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys CD30EE56
3) Update system:-

sudo apt-get update
4) Install sopcast-player:-

sudo apt-get install sopcast-player
5) Start it up... In kde I just searched in the kickoff menu. I guess it'll be in a menu on your system somewhere. If not try 'sopcast-player in a terminal.

If you want to open up sopcast files through Firefox automatically the following is copied and pasted:-

----------------Quoted from UbuntuForums----------------

When you make sure that Sopcast is functional, close it. Here's what I did to open sop:// protocol links automatically in Firefox:

1. In Firefox, in the Location bar, type about:config and press Enter.

2. Right-click anywhere in the grid, choose New, then String.

3. In the Enter the preference name prompt, type in network.protocol-handler.app.sop and press OK.

4. In the Enter string value prompt, type sopcast-player and press OK.

5. Try to open sop:// link on your favorite website and you will be presented with dialog box where you can search location of sopcast player. Navigate to ~/usr/bin and point to sopcast-player and click OK.

6. OK out of dialog box and now all sop:// links should open sopcast player automatically.
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

Grepnix

Thanks a million for this very handy and fool-proof tutorial! I appreciate your effort. I have no idea what all these mean but I will do them as I want very badly to watch eurosport and eurosport 2 in my language :)

Now, I did everything as instructed until I got to this point: "Try to open sop:// link on your favorite website and you will be presented with dialog box where you can search location of sopcast player. Navigate to ~/usr/bin and point to sopcast-player and click OK"

I don't know what "try to open sop:// link on your favorite website" refers to, so I don't really understand what I am supposed to do next :)

Also, I didn't see you mentioning anywhere about the channels list. Where do I get this list from? I've been googling for the last 2-3 hours for one but couldn't find anything related to Eurosport 1 and 2 in my language (Romanian) so I can add these 2 programs to my Sopcast and access them whenever I wanted. Do you happen to know where to find a list with these 2 programs? I don't really care about any other program out there, but Eurosport 1 and 2 in Romanian (only!)

Even if you can't possibly know this, I understand and I still wish to say THANK YOU for taking your precious time to write this handy tutorial. You're a good man :)
grepnix

Post by grepnix »

Try this site:-

http://livetvstreaming.ucoz.com/news/ro ... 08-30-1799

I found many not working... National Geographic was working...
Perhaps they are just down at the moment...

Just click file/open and then paste address in.

Cheers,
Grepnix
grepnix

Post by grepnix »

monere wrote:Grepnix

Now, I did everything as instructed until I got to this point: "Try to open sop:// link on your favorite website and you will be presented with dialog box where you can search location of sopcast player. Navigate to ~/usr/bin and point to sopcast-player and click OK"

I don't know what "try to open sop:// link on your favorite website" refers to, so I don't really understand what I am supposed to do next :)
You need to find a site with a sop:// link. Like http://www.footyzilla.com/channel/sopca ... rt-Ro.html

Then click on the link and then find under root (/) the file to run sopcasts. It'll be /usr/bin/sopcast-player. Click ok and continue.

If they are not clickable you can just paste the links into sopcast...

Cheers,
Grepnix
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

I see. Well, I'll finish with the set-up soon now that I know what you meant by that.

As for the links you gave in the previous post, they don't work. I found them, too and they don't work. But then again, I am wondering if anything works at all in my sopcast cause so far I couldn't open anything with it. Anyway, I'll figure out something. I wonder if using sopcast on IE under Wine works.... Will see

Thanks for the help and good luck with your own searches (if any) :)
grepnix

Post by grepnix »

monere wrote:I see. Well, I'll finish with the set-up soon now that I know what you meant by that.

As for the links you gave in the previous post, they don't work. I found them, too and they don't work. But then again, I am wondering if anything works at all in my sopcast cause so far I couldn't open anything with it. Anyway, I'll figure out something. I wonder if using sopcast on IE under Wine works.... Will see

Dont think ie will work in wine... Things might have changed since I last looked.....

Can you not see any streams in the channel guide on the sopcast viewer? Most of those are working on mine. Anyhow, good luck in your quest!

Cheers,
Grepnix
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

grepnix wrote:
monere wrote:I see. Well, I'll finish with the set-up soon now that I know what you meant by that.

Dont think ie will work in wine... Things might have changed since I last looked.....

Can you not see any streams in the channel guide on the sopcast viewer? Most of those are working on mine. Anyhow, good luck in your quest!

Cheers,
Grepnix
I can see channels, but most of them are chinese. Anyway, I need to apologize for something first. Every step I follwed from your tutorial I did in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS :(

Don't ask why I did this or how I forgot to mention cause I really have no idea. Probably it's because over the last week I did nothing else for 12-14 hours a day but read about Linux, ask linux-related stuff on forums, and installing distros and DEs. I guess I completely lost track of what I was trying to fix and achieve with each distro and under each DE lol.

Right now I am back in Mint 14 x64 Xfce (the firs Linux install I ever made) and after reading and learning even more about Linux, and after discoverng that I can use various desktops without having to actually to install separate distros (which is what I was about to do before discovering this golden tip) I am now on a testing spree :)

So anyway, I will re-do your tutorial in Mint (although I strongly reconsider installing Mint 13 too, mainly because of the numerous issues I am having with 14) but after I test a few more things so I can see which distro, which DE, and which programs I like/want/need. After I manage (probably in 2-3 days) to figure these out, I will stick to one distro/DE and focus on making that one work, which is when I will also take care of online football (ie. making Sopcast work).

But until then, back to the playing ground :)

PS: Sopcast does work, its jut that I need to find a stable (that doesn't change daily/weekly/monthly or whatever) list of channels so I can watch Eurosport and Eurosport 2 in Romanian.

PPS: I should probably mark this thread as solved. I don't know.....
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

Hi monere. OK, I'll explain. Circuit boards have a lot of small and sometimes very sensitive components on them. They opperate at a very low voltage. 5 volts or less. Just walking across a carpet without scuffing your feet too much and touching a door knob can give you a slight shock. We've all done that. That may be thousands of volts at miniscule current. Same thing with a piece of fuzz on a computer circuit board, especially while it is powered up. That very slight scrubbing of the fuzz across some components on the card transfered electrons from one surface to the other. That's what ElectroStatic Discharge is. I don't think my Conexant chip on the exact reverse side of the board liked it very much. Look up ESD on the net. I'm sure you can find better explanations.
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

homerscousin wrote:Hi monere. OK, I'll explain. Circuit boards have a lot of small and sometimes very sensitive components on them. They opperate at a very low voltage. 5 volts or less. Just walking across a carpet without scuffing your feet too much and touching a door knob can give you a slight shock. We've all done that. That may be thousands of volts at miniscule current. Same thing with a piece of fuzz on a computer circuit board, especially while it is powered up. That very slight scrubbing of the fuzz across some components on the card transfered electrons from one surface to the other. That's what ElectroStatic Discharge is. I don't think my Conexant chip on the exact reverse side of the board liked it very much. Look up ESD on the net. I'm sure you can find better explanations.
Aha, now I understand :) I looked up ESD in Google, though but found many meanings of the abbreviation, of which ElectroStaticDischarge too. Which is why I somehow understood what you said but not quite :)

Anyway, thanks for the clarification. And when/if you find a good list of channels for sopcast, share it if it's not too much trouble. I am desperately looking for one. For now this online streaming thingy is the only thing that still keeps windows installed on my PC. (well, the fact that I can't play Warcraft, too but that's another topic)

Cheers!

Return to “Software & Applications”