[SOLVED] windows security on VM

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
monere
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] windows security on VM

Post by monere »

hi,

can someone tell me whether installed on a virtual machine (like virtualbox for example) Windows is prone to viruses as much as a normal Windows installation? Or is there no such threat for a Windows OS installed this way. If it isn't, what's the explanation for this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zalbor

Re: windows security on VM

Post by Zalbor »

It's just as possible to get malware as in a regular installation. It simply can't affect your linux host.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

Zalbor wrote:It's just as possible to get malware as in a regular installation. It simply can't affect your linux host.
Absolutely true, BUT - installed as VM, you can easily backup your freshly installed "golden" Windows OS image and when things go bad (virus, etc.) restore that image.

Many virtualization solutions offer snapshots that make it easy to backup or freeze a system image at any time. If disk space is an issue, you may compress these backup images.

Bottom line: It's faster and easier to restore a VM. And if your hardware crashes or you want to migrate to a new PC, you can quite easily take your VM to that new hardware (without the need for a new Windows installation).
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

powerhouse wrote:
Zalbor wrote:It's just as possible to get malware as in a regular installation. It simply can't affect your linux host.
Absolutely true, BUT - installed as VM, you can easily backup your freshly installed "golden" Windows OS image and when things go bad (virus, etc.) restore that image.

Many virtualization solutions offer snapshots that make it easy to backup or freeze a system image at any time. If disk space is an issue, you may compress these backup images.

Bottom line: It's faster and easier to restore a VM. And if your hardware crashes or you want to migrate to a new PC, you can quite easily take your VM to that new hardware (without the need for a new Windows installation).
Sounds cool!

thanks for the tip :)
perduta

Re: [SOLVED] windows security on VM

Post by perduta »

monere wrote:hi,

can someone tell me whether installed on a virtual machine (like virtualbox for example) Windows is prone to viruses as much as a normal Windows installation? Or is there no such threat for a Windows OS installed this way. If it isn't, what's the explanation for this?
After researching active virus sites last year my conclusion is that you are virtually immune to modern malware when running in a virtual box. All the so called "Fully Undetectable" (FUD) trojans and viruses that I found out there detected that they are running in a virtual box and obligingly deleted themselves. The ones that didn't were not FUD and easily removed with Microsoft's Security essentials.

However, be very wary of sharing files with the host machine because once you leave the virtual environment said viruses are less obliging ;)

p.s. another thing to do is remove all forms of Java if you don't need it: Most infections got in via Java security deficiencies and drive-by.
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

perduta wrote:
monere wrote:hi,

After researching active virus sites last year my conclusion is that you are virtually immune to modern malware when running in a virtual box. All the so called "Fully Undetectable" (FUD) trojans and viruses that I found out there detected that they are running in a virtual box and obligingly deleted themselves. The ones that didn't were not FUD and easily removed with Microsoft's Security essentials.

However, be very wary of sharing files with the host machine because once you leave the virtual environment said viruses are less obliging ;)

p.s. another thing to do is remove all forms of Java if you don't need it: Most infections got in via Java security deficiencies and drive-by.
Well, I don't think I will ever remove java since it's needed by so many things. I will keep these tips in mind though.

zerozero

Post by zerozero »

monere wrote:I don't think I will ever remove java since it's needed by so many things.
you will surprised how useless java is really (unless you have a specific site that relies on it)
java is not javascript
just do a small test: go to the plugins page of the browser you're using and disable java, now use your browser as usual for some time: did you miss it? did the lack of the java plugin broke your internet experience?
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

zerozero wrote:
monere wrote:I don't think I will ever remove java since it's needed by so many things.
you will surprised how useless java is really (unless you have a specific site that relies on it)
java is not javascript
just do a small test: go to the plugins page of the browser you're using and disable java, now use your browser as usual for some time: did you miss it? did the lack of the java plugin broke your internet experience?
uhm, I'm assuming you're talking about disabling java in Linux. Cause right now I am in Windows watching some online football and it needs Java to run (or is it flash player??)

Well, never mind! I will do the test anyway, you just got me curious :)
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

No,

He's talkikng about disabling Java in your browser (applies equally in Windows as well as Linux).

-DataMan
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

DataMan wrote:No,

He's talkikng about disabling Java in your browser (applies equally in Windows as well as Linux).

-DataMan
I found an ¨enable javascript¨ setting in firefox preferences under Content tab. Is that what youŕe referring to or??
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

monere,
this one here
FF > addons > plugins (the last one in my list: is greyed out)
java is not javascript
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

zerozero wrote:monere,
this one here
FF > addons > plugins (the last one in my list: is greyed out)
java is not javascript
Oh, I was wrong then :)

Anyway, I looked at my plugins section of firefox add-ons and I have no java in there. I only have Shockwave Flash 11.5...., VLC Web Plugin 2.0.0, and Windows Presentation Foundation 3.5.30...

EDIT: forgot to mention that this is in Windows Vista, if it matters. I didn't look yet in Linux' FF

Return to “Other topics”