KDE Mint 14 No root file system detected

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Scozzar

KDE Mint 14 No root file system detected

Post by Scozzar »

Hey everybody. I have an issue with installing this linux. I had just deleted all the linux partitions that had Mint 13 on it, then update the MBR and got back into Windows, without a hitch as usual. However it seems that when I try to install KDE Mint 14 64Bit I get "No root file system detected." I know, I know, this has been posted 5 billion times already and I have read literally every post pertaining to the issue. I am trying to install off USB. I tried the following in the Mint 14 terminal on the liveboot and got some errors

sudo apt-get remove dmraid

HOWEVER, when I booted into my CD of Mint 13, I ran the command and it worked fine with no errors. I also went into Gparted and tinkered with the "Unallocated" partition trying to get the mount point to become "/" like everyone has said, but to no avail. I know there is an issue with the 64bit ISO's, but I thought that was fixed. I got 6gb of RAM and 100gbs of unallocated space where 13 was and where I want 14 to go. I have no idea what to do from here.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: KDE Mint 14 No root file system detected

Post by caf4926 »

Really struggling to make sense of this post. Probably in large part due to a lack of real evidence. By that I mean either gparted screens of fdisk

But to use unallocated space. I would use gparted in the live session to create
/
/home
and swap if you don't already have one

Then point the install there by following this
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3e0lLG ... pmd2s/edit
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Scozzar

Post by Scozzar »

But I can't though. When I boot into GParted I can't do anything with the unallocated space. I can only use the "New" option which doesn't help. Also booting into my USB results in a BOOT ERROR every time I try to boot into my USB now. I haven't tried the fdisk option, but I will be sure to post screenshots in the next half hour.

I got you some screenshots.

I wish I could get one of GParted not letting me do anything, but screenshots don't work when drop-down menus are open...
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

So with the selection on unallocated you can't create a new extended partition
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Scozzar

Post by Scozzar »

Well yes I can. I don't know what to call it and stuff. I need room for the swap and the second partition too, right?

741cc

Post by 741cc »

Make an extended partition to fill the unallocated space, this will become /sda4. Then make any further partitions inside this extended one; these will become /sda5, /sda6...etc. Make as many as you like - well almost!!
Scozzar

Post by Scozzar »

Well shouldn't I make the first partition a Primary one though? Also, why am I unable to boot into my USB now? I was able to boot into it until I ran "sudo apt-get remove dmraid." Now I just get "BOOT ERROR" in the big BIOS font.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

741cc wrote:Make an extended partition to fill the unallocated space, this will become /sda4. Then make any further partitions inside this extended one; these will become /sda5, /sda6...etc. Make as many as you like - well almost!!
This is basically correct
partitions inside the extended space are logical
Is all basic stuff
All your existing partitions are primary. You can only have 4 primary. A extended is counted as a primary
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

I was able to boot into it until I ran "sudo apt-get remove dmraid."
Who told you to do that
It doesn't look like RAID at all to me
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Scozzar

Post by Scozzar »

A majority of the threads on this issue were solved using that command. I assume that that is the reason why I can't boot into USB now.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Scozzar wrote:A majority of the threads on this issue were solved using that command. I assume that that is the reason why I can't boot into USB now.
Dunno

But what you need to do is:
Create an extended partition to use all the unallocated space
Then with focus on extended create a swap (logical)
ext4 20GB (logical) will be for /
ext4 all the remaining space will be for /home

Then follow the video guide I gave earlier to set the mount points etc....
Grub to sda
done
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Scozzar

Post by Scozzar »

And that seem's to have done it. Thank you everyone!
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Scozzar wrote:And that seem's to have done it. Thank you everyone!
Well done
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
741cc

Post by 741cc »

booting into my USB results in a BOOT ERROR every time I try to boot into my USB now
If this is still an issue:-
Try resetting the boot order in the bios settings. It can sometimes change, seemingly of its own accord. Never found out how or why, (anyone?)
Hit F11/F12 on startup to get the boot pop-up menu.
Remake the usb stick.

Return to “Installation & Boot”