updates rollback

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

updates rollback

Post by 007 »

I am using Lm14 kde with radeon 4000 series, so I have had xorg downgraded to 10-something so that I could install radeon legacies. Everything was better than expected with this Lm14 kde until today when I updated fglrx legacy (radeon legacies driver) along with fglrx-amdcccle-legacy and fglrx-legacy-dev. After the update, fan is whizzing more aka fan noise has increased. Since everything was normal to my taste before this update, I want to roll it back.

How do i roll it back? Thanks for info!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: updates rollback

Post by viking777 »

The proper/simple way to roll back updates in Linux is to make disk or partition images with clonezilla or qt4-fsarchiver before you do the update. But I guess you haven't done this or you wouldn't be asking. So you have to do it the wrong/difficult way.

The script sgfxi is capable of up and downgrading graphics drivers, though I don't know how good it is with ati because I have never owned an ati card. Instructions here:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... xi#p497881

OTOH as you seem to know which packages have caused the problem you can download the older versions of those packages from http://packages.ubuntu.com/ remove the newer packages and install the older ones.

Next time try the simple way.

Re: updates rollback

Post by 007 »

clonezilla and qt4-fsarchiver are still new to me, I will slowly get familiar with them but I have tried with removing driver and installing again, and things have not changed. or might be that my laptop has gathered some dusts as I get fan whizzing mostly when I watch youtube videos or play online games. I will still check on that. Thanks for your info.

Return to “Beginner Questions”