Cinnamon submenus [solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nixguy

Cinnamon submenus [solved]

Post by nixguy »

When I right click and select edit menu I’m able to create a new category under the menu, however when I do submenus under that category it will not display, any tools I install under those subcategories will display in the main category I created.

Then I noticed that the entire cinnamon menu categories do not have submenu like kde or gnome

Is it not possible to create submenus?

Thanks

Nix
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Cinnamon submenus

Post by xenopeek »

As you have confirmed, the Cinnamon menu will not display them. Have a good look at the way the Cinnamon menu works; where exactly would the subcategories and their contents be shown :wink: If this is very important to you, perhaps have a look at the other menus you can use. You'll find various menus on the Cinnamon Spices website: http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets
nixguy

Post by nixguy »

xenopeek wrote:As you have confirmed, the Cinnamon menu will not display them. Have a good look at the way the Cinnamon menu works; where exactly would the subcategories and their contents be shown :wink: If this is very important to you, perhaps have a look at the other menus you can use. You'll find various menus on the Cinnamon Spices website: http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets

Thanks for the quick response

For what I’m looking it won’t work, I think I’ll try Mate and see if I can work with it.

Thanks again
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The mintMenu on MATE works the same. But you can add the classic GNOME menu (Applications Places System) and that may be able to show subcategories.
nixguy

Post by nixguy »

xenopeek wrote:The mintMenu on MATE works the same. But you can add the classic GNOME menu (Applications Places System) and that may be able to show subcategories.
Can i do this in Cinnamon or just in MATE?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

On Cinnamon you can add the menus from Cinnamon Spices as I mentioned. On MATE you can add the classic GNOME menu by right-clicking on the panel, selecting add to panel, then finding the menu you want to add there. But I think you can get the classic GNOME menu also from Cinnamon Spices, just have a look. (The applet called "Classic Menu" is actually the mintMenu from MATE made suitable for Cinnamon; you don't want that one, but the classic GNOME menu should be there somewhere also.)
nixguy

Post by nixguy »

Thank you, i really appreciate your help

I’ll give it a try tonight and see what happened, i will try the applet, if it does what i need then it's all good, if not, I’ll just install MATE and setup the classic menu

Cheers
nixguy

Re: Cinnamon submenus [SOLVED]

Post by nixguy »

switched to KDE
it does everything i need
jelabarre59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jelabarre59 »

xenopeek wrote:As you have confirmed, the Cinnamon menu will not display them. Have a good look at the way the Cinnamon menu works; where exactly would the subcategories and their contents be shown :wink: If this is very important to you, perhaps have a look at the other menus you can use. You'll find various menus on the Cinnamon Spices website: http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets

Just looked at the options on that site yesterday. ***NONE*** of them correctly handle submenus, as far as I can see. I like Cinnamon and Mate, but I can't use them with this problem still in place.

Return to “Beginner Questions”