Any Cleanup recommended after LMDE install

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tlcmd

Any Cleanup recommended after LMDE install

Post by tlcmd »

I did search the database, but either didn't ask the right question or the answer isn't there. I finally have installed LMDE and plan to add Windows XP SP# in the VirtualBox.
I know that there is a lot of adware, spyware, etc when a new Windows OS is installed which needs to be cleaned up with various malware, adware, etc programs. Does LMDE have the same problem? And if so, which is the best cleanup program to use??

Thanks for the info and your patience.
tlcmd (aka Dick)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
usbtux

Re: Any Cleanup recommended after LMDE install

Post by usbtux »

No, usually you add your own as you go along :)

I use bleachbit, ( think CCleaner for Windows) available from synaptic/apt-get cleans up quite a bit of stuff
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint does not knowingly distribute or install adware, spyware, or other malware. As much as possible, Linux Mint distributes and installs open source software, and from authenticated sources. For some things there are no good alternatives but closed source software, in which case Linux Mint compromises and distributes and installs that.

A fresh installation of Linux Mint will have a selection of programs, generally one for each common task such as a web browser, a file manager, an office suite, and so on. These programs are selected as sensible defaults, to have you up and running out-of-the-box. These are fully functional and free software. Should you have a preference for another program, you can easily install that if you so desire.
tlcmd

Post by tlcmd »

Thanks, I didn't want to run a cleanup program unnecessarily. Will keep a weather eye out for problems before using Bleachbid which I've used before on Mint 9.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Like xenopeek says, don't worry too much for spyware/malware/trojans. Due to a much better rights management system than Windows it is much more unlikely that spyware/malware/trojans will install itself without being noticed doing this. Installing applications, as example, requires root access and your user password. And beside that, Linux is not a very interesting platform for scriptkiddies and spyware/malware/trojans writers for the fact that Linux doesn't cover a large market as Windows does.

Some cleanup you can do after installing LMDE are cleaning up left-over packages you don't need any longer. This can be done in the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get autoclean

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get autoremove
Or by programs such as Bleachbit.

Return to “Beginner Questions”