Gudday from TheKernel

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TheKernel

Gudday from TheKernel

Post by TheKernel »

Hello, I am Just an old (now retired) computer software techo from the 60s/70s obviously trying to rediscover my 'geek DNA' as I have just downloaded and installed Linux Mint to create a dual booting Acer notebook. So good so far, I am (re)learning some things and discovering new tricks too, but still appear to have a few configuration issues to knock over ... and terminology has really changed these days too!

Still I am looking forward to using Mint and having some fun on the journey.

Cheers to all Mint users especially those in Oz.

....UPDATE ... first lesson is to check notebook hardware against the release notes. My ATI Radeon HD4570 card is not now producing HDMI sound when connected to the TV ... release notes basically say proprietary drivers are now obsolete but whatever open source driver is in Linux does not seem to work. Sounds OK on TV in that other operating system.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: Gudday from TheKernel

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the mint family forums

wizard
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Welcome aboard :D It can sometimes be a bit of a struggle to get a computer working with Linux, but I hope you will have fun with Linux Mint regardless.
jesica

Post by jesica »

:mrgreen: Good day,
Welcome to the Linux Mint Forum.
Hope you enjoy Mint :mrgreen:
TheKernel

Post by TheKernel »

Thank you to The-Wizard, xenopeek and jesica for your personal good wishes ... spent some time today going through a 'command' tutorial, I think recommended elsewhere by xenopeek. Amazing, things that come out of my memory banks, stored for over 40 years from when I first played with assembler and basic!!

Cheers guys!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”