Small Gap on Top screen

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Small Gap on Top screen

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

I developed a small problem it seems the top half of my screen has some sort of gap in it. I tried to take a screenshot but the image didn't show the gap so I created one with gimp.

Earlier I tried to install lightdm on my system (LM 13 MATE 32bit) but it didn't work. I ended up having to sudo dpkg-reconfigure mdm and boot into Mate in recovery mode. In recovery mode I noticed this small gap but figured that a mesage stating something about graphics not dispalying correctly in recovery mode was the cause. So I restarted, booted into Mate as normal, but that small gap was there again.

Fixes I tried:
mate-panel --reset
Changing the desktop background image
Changing the resolution of my monitor
Restarting and choosing Mate instead Last session

I'm guessing it's some sort of graphics problem but my limited knowledge prevents me understanding how to fix this mildly annoying quirk.

for more info:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: hamza21-OptiPlex-GX280 Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine:   System: Dell product: OptiPlex GX280
           Mobo: Dell model: 0D7726 Bios: Dell version: A08 date: 03/03/2006
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium 4 CPU (-HT-) clocked at 2994.297 MHz 
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller 
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1440x900@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 915G x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 8.0.4
Network:   Card: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express driver: tg3 
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (22.4% used)
Info:      Processes: 144 Uptime: 48 min Memory: 501.8/2003.8MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33 
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
thegreatgazoo

Re: Small Gap on Top screen

Post by thegreatgazoo »

Maybe you have 2 panels up there. I was able to recreate what your image looks like by making another panel and putting them both on top.
Try right clicking on the gap space and selecting "delete this panel"
Screenshot.png
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Small Gap on Top screen

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

Thanks for the suggestion but that's not it.
There seems to be a 2 pixel gap at the top of my screen for some reason,where as the rest of screen has the normal 1 pixel gap. I'll just live with it,I don't really noticed it much anyhow.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com

Return to “MATE”