Where is best place to discuss bugs?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arnaut Billings

Where is best place to discuss bugs?

Post by Arnaut Billings »

Where is the best place to discuss bugs? Is it launchpad where it is reported? If so, what if my reported bug was closed as invalid and I disagreed with that designation, do I initiate a discussion there or on this forum?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Where is best place to discuss bugs?

Post by viking777 »

If you are a major financial contributor to the distro in question then you might get them to discuss it by threatening to withdraw your sponsorship. Otherwise you live with the distro makers decision or change to one where your concerns might already have been addressed (if you can find one).

There is nothing to stop you from discussing it on the forum of course (put it in the Chat section) but very little is ever changed that way. Open source means you are free to contribute your ideas, but it also means the distro writers are equally free to reject them.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

As someone who has submitted a bug report all I can do is offer these observations:

Make sure it's a bug. Describe the problem in this forum just in case it's something you're doing that's the cause.

Bugs are hierarchical I'm afraid:

** If it's a bug with something Mint itself has done you're likely to get an actual response and a good chance of getting it resolved.
** If Mint decides it's something Ubuntu has done then it's likely to end up in Ubuntu's launchpad. Once it's there please see viking777's post above.
** If it ends up in Ubuntu's launchpad and Ubuntu decides that it's a Gnome, or Samba, or whoever's bug then abandon all hope.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Arnaut Billings

Let me rephrase my question, if I believe a reported bug was marked as invalid (or any other designation for that matter) in error, what is the "Linux Mint" way to handle it? (I posted a followup in the bug that I reported, however I left it marked as invalid. It has not recieved a reply from the individual that closed it. This may be because the followup did not merit a response, or because it never got the individual's attention because I left the bug as Invalid.)

BTW, this is the bug in discussion:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1093713
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bjornmu »

FWIW I agree with the closing: that's not a bug, that's expected behavior for a program started from the terminal.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

OK having read the bug report I can see why it was closed, the behaviour you report is the default behaviour for any program launched from a terminal and has been for as long as I can remember. I just launched 9 programs from the terminal - 8 of them were killed by Ctl-c the only one that wasn't was gnome-terminal itself, but that is hardly surprising because it can't run itself inside itself, it is forced to launch a new instance and anyway it is not a graphical program it is a terminal. Xterm (which can be run from inside gnome-terminal) is shut down by Ctl-c. That is the way it is supposed to be.

If your bug is supposed to be about the copy/paste function then I can't duplicate it. Copying text from a browser launched from a terminal is retained in the clipboard and is able to be pasted once the browser has been closed by Ctl-c in the terminal.
Arnaut Billings

@viking777:
I just opened up a new chat about this here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=123837. I'm going to respond to you there (I'm either being very dense or stubborn, so bear with me ...) , so I'm going to mark this discussion as Solved.
Arnaut Billings

[Solved] Re: Where is best place to discuss bugs?

Solved. Related discussion moved here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&p=678814

Return to “Beginner Questions”