Software manager not working

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kruz

Software manager not working

Post by kruz »

i am very new to Linux, i just downloaded and installed linux mint KDE version, i opened up software manager to do the obvious of installing new software, but the application exits/closes on its own within seconds, i dont know why, kindly help..

-Krupakar, from India
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RETNUH

Re: Software manager not working

Post by RETNUH »

Open a terminal and input

Code: Select all

mintinstall
After it closes give us the errors the terminal gives.
chris0161

Post by chris0161 »

Having same problem and also with Synaptic.
Re installed Synaptic and it stopped auto closing but no joy with Mint Install.

Here is the output :

/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:252: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
def get_status_description(self, transaction):
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:260: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
def get_role_description(self, transaction):
add_categories took 1.522 ms
build_matched_packages took 0.247 ms
add_packages took 1794.381 ms
add_reviews took 0.028 ms

(mintinstall.py:4284): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_qdata: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
__init__ took 2028.343 ms
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:1137: GtkWarning: Theme directory scalable/animations/small/16x16 of theme Mint-KDE has no size field

if theme.has_icon(cat.icon):
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:1137: GtkWarning: Theme directory scalable/animations/small/22x22 of theme Mint-KDE has no size field

show_category took 17.474 ms
Segmentation fault
kruz

Post by kruz »

Luckydog wrote:Open a terminal and input

mintinstall
After it closes give us the errors the terminal gives.
The error it displays is: Segmentation fault

attached the screendump: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26 ... ot1ar.png/
akeuning

Post by akeuning »

Hi,

I have the same problem. I did a fresh install on a Macbook Pro 5.5, everything works out of the box. But when I start the software manager I got this;

~ $ mintinstall
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:252: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
def get_status_description(self, transaction):
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:260: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
def get_role_description(self, transaction):
add_categories took 1.449 ms
build_matched_packages took 0.225 ms
add_packages took 4130.249 ms
add_reviews took 597.921 ms

(mintinstall.py:3373): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_qdata: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
__init__ took 4881.365 ms
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:1137: GtkWarning: Theme directory scalable/animations/small/16x16 of theme Mint-KDE has no size field

/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:1137: GtkWarning: Theme directory scalable/animations/small/22x22 of theme Mint-KDE has no size field

show_category took 24.806 ms
Segmentation fault

I shut down finger tapping for the touchpad, it works a bit better but after choosing a program to install the software manager crash with the same segmentation fault.

Please help,

Andre
schnorg

Post by schnorg »

me too!!!!
EricRanders

Post by EricRanders »

I have had this problem with both Mint12 Gnome and KDE Anyone with any ideas ? I have also tried to change the software sever from Main to a few others with no luck.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Open the terminal and put

sudo apt-get install --reinstall mintinstall
That should reinstall Software Manager properly.
(Lol, so many "install"s in that line!)
jut754

Post by jut754 »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:Open the terminal and put

sudo apt-get install --reinstall mintinstall
That should reinstall Software Manager properly.
(Lol, so many "install"s in that line!)
Tried this and still having problems after reboot. I have attached the snapshot of the terminal process. Not sure if that will help or not.
scherzox

Post by scherzox »

I installed LM 12 KDE 32 bit yesterday and experiencing the exact same problem with Software Manager. I'm fine with using Muon or Synaptic for now but wanted to give the official Software Manager a try. I'm subscribing to this thread for updates on the problem. Thanks.
pvbrandes

Post by pvbrandes »

Not working for me either. After initial install, the Software Manger panel would open for a split second then close. Now it opens and stays open, but none of the icons show, except the "Featured" category icon. Also, none of the listings show an "Install" option.

This is a Mint 12 KDE 32-bit installation.
Bunce

Post by Bunce »

I have the same issue fresh install Mint 12 KDE 32 bit version. Software manager Starts says gathering imformation for packages and then when it should go to the next screen it closes.

While writing this I tried Software Manager again to make sure I got the description of events right and it worked fine. I have not changed anything on my system in the few hours since I initially encountered this problem.

Interim activitites included:
Web browsing
Installed chrome via web deb package download
Installed xchat via apt-get
Watched a movie in VLC
Can't think of anything else I did in that time. I don't think any of these would solved the issue

Wait one more thing I installed Nautilus via apt-get maybe that did it? I did not let it overwrite my defualt file extension associations I kept the file that was already present on the system.
bobbill

Post by bobbill »

i have the same problem my software manager is not working but when i try to use the terminal all i get is this

Depends: libsmpeg0 but it is not going to be installed
libavcodec53 : Depends: libavutil51 (< 4:0.8.1-99) but 4:0.8.4-0ubuntu0.12.04.1 is to be installed or
libavutil-extra-51 (< 4:0.8.1.99) but it is not going to be installed
libavformat53 : Depends: libavcodec53 (>= 4:0.8.4-0ubuntu0.12.04.1) but 4:0.8.1-0ubuntu1 is to be installed or
libavcodec-extra-53 (>= 4:0.8.4) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

if i could get some help that would be great :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”