Can't change permissions of drive in Nemo or with chmod

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xereeto

Can't change permissions of drive in Nemo or with chmod

Post by xereeto »

Hi,

I just bought an external floppy drive to transfer to and from some old PCs. It works on Mint, but there's one major problem: only root can create/delete files on the floppy disk.

I figured it'd be easy to fix, so I tried

Code: Select all

gksu nemo
and attempted to set the disk permissions for "others" to "Create and delete files":

But it changed itself back to "Access Files". So I thought, OK, I'll use the command line:

xereeto@sirius:/media/xereeto$ sudo chmod +w /media/xereeto/disk
xereeto@sirius:/media/xereeto$ ls -l
total 7
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 7168 Jan 25 16:56 disk
... what?

So I'm wondering what causes this, and how I can write to this disk without root. Should I just

sudo chown xereeto /media/xereeto/disk
or would that cause other problems?

Thanks,

--xereeto
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Can't change permissions of drive in Nemo or with chmod

Post by xenopeek »

What is the filesystem used on the storage device? If that isn't a native Linux filesystem, but something drafty from Windows, then this will not work. Also note that you can right-click a folder in Nemo and select to open it as root from there.
xereeto

Re: Can't change permissions of drive in Nemo or with chmod

Post by xereeto »

Hi,

It's an msdos formatted floppy.

So what do I do now if I want to write as a normal user?

Thanks,

xereeto

Return to “Beginner Questions”