Upgrading 13 to 14: is there any need for it?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fernbap

Upgrading 13 to 14: is there any need for it?

Post by fernbap »

I am Mint user for long. Although i am a distrohopper at heart, i always keep my Mint partition, which has been my working environment.
I am currently using Mint 13 MATE 64, since its release, without a single glitch whatsoever. Recently, i enabled the backports repo in order to get the latest MATE and Cinnamon versions.
So, my question is: is there any reason why i should upgrade from Mint 13 to 14? Is there anything 14 offers that i don't have already?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: Upgrading 13 to 14: is there any need for it?

Post by nomko »

Not really if everything runs just fine. Mint 13 is a so called LTS version or Long Term Support version which will be supported for 5 years before it reaches it's end-of-life date. If you don't encounter any issues and if you're happy with Mint13, there's not much of a reason to upgrade.

If you want the newest and latest version of Mint plus some/most applications and you have really new hardware which doesn't run well under Mint13, then you could decide using Mint14. But then again, even with Mint 13 you can upgrade most applications to the latest version and even the kernel can be updated. Just run the terminal command sudo apt-get upgrade now and then.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

fernbap wrote: I am currently using Mint 13 MATE 64, since its release, without a single glitch whatsoever. Recently, i enabled the backports repo in order to get the latest MATE and Cinnamon versions.
So, my question is: is there any reason why i should upgrade from Mint 13 to 14? Is there anything 14 offers that i don't have already?
That red highlight says Keep it. No need to 'upgrade'
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

Good advice from posters above! Now you have set your repository options to include backported packages you will continue to get plenty of nice updates, while keeping the same lovely, solid Mint 13 base with its long-term support.

Mint 13 is a keeper - even by this distro's past standards, it's superb.
fernbap

Post by fernbap »

Thank you very much for your replies.
It is as i suspected, I just wanted to be sure.
Thanks again

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”