making backup image

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
smileyjr71

making backup image

Post by smileyjr71 »

How do i make a disk image so i can restore from it later and or install on new computer
i am using linux mint 14 KDE
please help thank you
smiley
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: making backup image

Post by wayne128 »

typical method
1. remastersys
2. fsarchiver
3. clonezilla
4. gparted
I used gparted to copy, paste OS partition , follow by install boot loader.

google key words and read them over internet to see which one you like to use.
Orbmiser

Re: making backup image

Post by Orbmiser »

I like REDO Backup same engine as Clonezilla under the hood.
http://redobackup.org/
And a lot easier to use and understand than the more powerful brothers with more features set that I don't need or use.

Example backup saved to External Usb Drive.
Main Full Backup: 5 partitions - Win7,Winxp,Linux mint / "root" /home swap.
grub , /, /home, swap are on sda5,6,7 after installed distro has been setup with my installed apps,settings,prefs,etc. or any major changes then I do a backup of only sda5,6,7 Mint 14 to it's own folder also.

Now when I want to install another distro to try out beyond LiveCD than can do a clean install to those 3 partitions and ready to use distro. Then can also backup that distro once I have installed and setup to use. Want to go back to my Mint. Then do a restore to just those 3 partitions and back to Mint 14 cinnamon in 20 mins. The whole time using the same partitions and Do not change the partition sizes use the default size and I use the something else to make sure root /home swap go to those 3 partitions during install. I don't trust automatically installers that do it for you.

So far have backups of Ubuntu 12.10,Fuduntu,Voyager 12.10 xfce and one Full backup including the Win7,Winxp & Mint 14 partitions. And can switch to any in less than 30 mins. if I choose to do so.

I also back up main ongoing Mint 14 Cinnamon once a month and delete the older archive. So main distro remains fresh with latest changes and added programs.

Return to “Installation & Boot”