How to make things go faster?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grey10

How to make things go faster?

Post by grey10 »

Hello everyone!

First of all, I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong place.
I have been using Linux Mint for about a year now and with every new install comes the same problem. Before I install the updates everything goes like is should: the applications load fast and the same goes for the web pages. But afterwards things slow down to almost crawling speed at times. What could be the problem?
I've used KDE, MATE and now I'm using Cinnamon.

Mind you, I'm running things on a MSI laptop with a 2.1 Ghz AMD sempron processor, 2 GB of RAM, 250 GB and an ATI RADEON HD4200 graphics card.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to make things go faster?

Post by SiKing »

Have a look at the applications that are started when you log in - Startup Applications. Do you need all of those running?
Bring up the System Monitor and see what is taking up a lot of memory or CPU time.
There is also a command 'top' that you could try, but that will give you a lot of information. Depending on how comfortable you are in the Linux world, the amount of information might be overwhelming.

HTH.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Yes, you should use a system monitor like "top" to see what is slowing down your computer. Some program/driver or misconfiguration could be causing the slow down. You could also check your sensors to see if the computer is overheating, etc.

If you have a graphic driver issue try Mint with XFCE or LXDE, they are faster, less demanding and easy to make faster: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=96465
grey10

Post by grey10 »

Thanks for your help!
I've tried everything, I guess the only thing left for me to do is to switch to another edition. It's a shame, because I like Cinnamon...
bb333

Post by bb333 »

Mate should not be "slowing down" over time.

Open a terminal and let top run in the background.

Code: Select all

$ top
When things start slowing down go look what the highest commands are.

My guess is it has to do with your graphics card drivers.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

grey10 wrote:Thanks for your help!
I've tried everything, I guess the only thing left for me to do is to switch to another edition. It's a shame, because I like Cinnamon...
Try Cinnamon 2D.

Return to “Beginner Questions”