[Solved] Can't Install Anything with Software Manager

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jinxella

[Solved] Can't Install Anything with Software Manager

Post by jinxella »

Well, this is my first day with Linux Mint. (Some experience prior, enough to get myself in trouble, apparently.) Trying to get my wireless to work, I found a video that said to install a few things from the software manager. Click 'install' nothing happens. Searched the internet for help, found two solutions.

First solution (from http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=112444):
sudo mv /var/lib/dpkg/info/install-info.postinst /var/lib/dpkg/info/install-info.postinst.bad

It didn't help. More searching led me here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=93776
At the end of the thread, someone suggested this:
sudo mv /var/lib/apt/lists /var/lib/apt/lists.old
sudo mkdir -p /var/lib/apt/lists/partial
sudo apt-get update

Now, in software manager, I can't see any of the not installed packages. Where it was some 35000 packages available, there are now 1916.

If you help me, I promise not to just randomly type things I find online without making sure I know exactly what I'm doing in the future. ^_^
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Can't Install Anything with Software Manager

Post by viking777 »

Well the commands to reverse what you have done are quite simple so lets start there.

Code: Select all

sudo mv /var/lib/dpkg/info/install-info.postinst.bad  /var/lib/dpkg/info/install-info.postinst

sudo rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists

sudo mv /var/lib/apt/lists.old  /var/lib/apt/lists

sudo apt-get update
jinxella

Post by jinxella »

Thank you! That absolutely worked. I promise not to do anything that I can't figure out how to undo on my own from now on.

I feel like I probably have more reading to do to figure out why I can't install anything. But if anyone has ideas, those would be welcome as well. I've only tried to install broadcom-sta-common and broadcom-sta-source, because I read somewhere that I needed those to get my wifi working.

Lots to learn still. :)
viking777

Post by viking777 »

There are two alternatives to the Software Manager, Synaptic (the package manager) and the command line so try those. Synaptic is just a gui you should be able work that out without me explaining it, the command to install broadcom-sta-common would be:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install broadcom-sta-common
If you try that and get some errors paste them here that might give us a clue.
jinxella

Post by jinxella »

So, yes, that worked. Also, connecting to the internet helped. I don't know why I was under the impression that the packages were there, just not 'installed', but I was. Things work quite differently when you can actually access the things you are trying to install. :)

Thank you!!!

Return to “Beginner Questions”