udev rules script not working, ideas why?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wb666greene

udev rules script not working, ideas why?

Post by wb666greene »

This works on Ubuntu 10.04 but not LM13.

I'm trying to add the "drivers" for an Acces I/O Products USB A/D, D/A, & DIO device. The company's instructions are poor and their scripts on the installation CD are incorrect for the device I ordered, so I don't recommend them. But I fixed the scripts and got it working on Ubuntu 10.04.

On LM13 the udev script does not appear to run :(
All my file permisions match what is on the rules files setup by the installation.

The relavant part of my 10-acces_usb.rules script in /etc/udev/rules.d:

Code: Select all

# USB-AIO16-16A
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1605", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0140", RUN+="/sbin/fxload -t fx2 -D $tempnode -I /usr/share/usb/USB-AIO16-16A.hex"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1605", SYSFS{idProduct}=="8140", RUN+="/bin/chmod 0666 $tempnode"

The fxload package has been installed. If I run their perl installation script (which I correced as well) the firmware loads and the device works.

I need the udev hotplug system to work for this device, any ideas what might be wrong?

lsusb output after device insertion:
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 1605:0140

lsusb output after firmware is loaded by the perl script:
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 1605:8140

On Ubuntu 10.04 you never really see the 1605.0140 as once udev loads the firmware the device disconnects and reconnects as 1605:8140.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: udev rules script not working, ideas why?

Post by viking777 »

Could this be down to the version changes in udev between Ubuntu 10.04 and Mint 13 (based on 12.04)? Of course maybe you have the latest udev version in 10.04, I don't know, but if you haven't it was shipped with udev 151.12 whereas 12.04 comes with 175.0. The changes since then are massive:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+changelog

Any one of those changes could have altered the syntax for the rule you created on Lucid - but don't ask me which one, or how to change it :?
wb666greene

Re: udev rules script not working, ideas why?

Post by wb666greene »

Looks like SYSFS{} has been changed to ATTR{}

This is supposed to be progress??

Return to “Hardware Support”