I turn off mint with halt command, now no menu, no icons....

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ferminako

I turn off mint with halt command, now no menu, no icons....

Post by ferminako »

Hi everyone, yesterday I turn off my computer using halt comand from terminal , but mint didn't turn off so I had to quit the power, and now my computer starts with errors and I can't see the menu , or icons, I have tried commands like apt-get instal gnome, upgrde or similars but noone worked.

I let you some pics about the errors, everytime I tried to install or upgrade whatever I have got an error speaking about broken packs...

Could anyone help me in order to avoid the reinstallation??? I had configured all my develop environment...

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: I turn off mint with halt command, now no menu, no icons

Post by viking777 »

These look like ownership errors - as if your /home/username directory (or parts of it) have become owned by root.

If you can get into a virtual terminal you should be able to fix that, but I am not sure at what point you are getting those errors.

If you see a login window then don't log in, but just hit Ctl/Alt/F1, then log in as user root with your normal password then run the command:

chown -R yourusername:yourusername /home/yourusername

Obviously you substitute your proper username in that command where I have typed 'yourusername'.

Reboot and see if that gets you working.
ferminako

Post by ferminako »

I'm gonna try it!
ferminako

Post by ferminako »

First of all I gotta say I'm sorry, because some errors that I've posted are in Spanish.
Translate:
2)There's a `problem with the server configuration... got out with the state 256.
4) The panel has found a problem while it was loading....

I rebooted my laptop, I couldn't use the login window, but I could use the virtual terminal as root
and I used:
chown -R fermin:fermin /home/fermin
as you said, but it's still not working, I've got the same errors and same problem.

Maybe you need something else like a error log or whatever, just ask me please , I would hate to reinstall the OS... :(

Thanks viking777
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Oh shame, that is not it then, maybe permissions instead.

The last error is asking you if you want to remove mintmenu from the mate panel - have you tried saying yes?

Also the third error is saying your permissions are wrong for caja. You can alter this from the virtual terminal the command would be

Code: Select all

chmod 0755 /home/firmin/.config/caja
And while you are there also

chmod 0600 /home/firmin/.ICEauthority
But my guess is that once you have changed those it will just pick something else to complain about :(
ferminako

Post by ferminako »

I've tried those commands but when I try, I get an answer like: this path doesn't exist :(
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Oh dear, that sounds serious. Please go back into your virtual terminal and run the command:

ls -al /home/firmin
If folders like .config are missing then you are going to have to reinstall I fear.
ferminako

Post by ferminako »

I've just did It and that's The result, I'm afraid...
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Thanks for the picture. I see you have encryptfs installed there, so this means you have an encrypted home folder I presume. I always believe that encrypted home folders are far far more dangerous than unencrypted ones for the simple reason that you have just found out. Your chances of having your computer hacked or stolen are much less than your chances of breaking something in this manner and then never being able to use your computer again without reinstalling. I have read about this too often to ever dream of using encryptfs myself.

So basically I can't help you any further, in my opinion you will need to reinstall and if you want my advice then don't encrypt you home folder next time - it is too dangerous.

Return to “Other topics”