Possible nvidia driver problem with Kernel 3.5?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
J_C

Possible nvidia driver problem with Kernel 3.5?

Post by J_C »

Hello all.

Currently running Mint 13 KDE, things are good, rock solid.

The only issue I’ve always had is the headphone socket does not cut my laptop speakers off unless I startup with headphones connected. This is not a Mint or KDE issue as I have in the past tried different distros.

I’ve attempted all sorts of fixes including the ALSA daily builds, but to no avail..... Not a big problem, I’ve learnt to live with it..... This is not my question :wink:

When I tried Mint 14 live (and Kubuntu 12.10) I noticed that the headphones worked properly. I figured this might be down to the newer kernel (3.5 instead of my current 3.2).

So in an attempt to fix my LTS install I installed the 3.5 kernel using the Ubuntu PPA. And yes! The headphone socket worked!
But once I activated my nvidia driver the system crashed horribly :roll: ..... Totally borked.... I could only recover using ‘alt+PrtScrn R.E.I.S.U.B’ and selecting the old kernel upon boot.

So finally to my question…

If I actually installed Mint 14 would I necessarily have the same driver issue?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vaxxipooh

Re: Possible nvidia driver problem with Kernel 3.5?

Post by vaxxipooh »

[quote="J_C"]
But once I activated my nvidia driver the system crashed horribly :roll: ..... Totally borked.... I could only recover using ‘alt+PrtScrn R.E.I.S.U.B’ and selecting the old kernel upon boot.

Hi there . . . i probably have to reinstall the NVidia drivers for your new kernel
J_C

Re: Possible nvidia driver problem with Kernel 3.5?

Post by J_C »

Thanks vaxxipooh, :)

I did search for newer drivers before attempting to activate my current ones, none were found..... Perhaps I should have removed the old drivers first?

Return to “Software & Applications”