Facebook and privacy

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
viking777

Facebook and privacy

Post by viking777 »

I just read an article about recent changes made to Facebook's privacy policy. The proposed changes were pretty extreme to my mind including things like sharing your data with 'associate' companies and attaching your personal picture to adverts and sending them to your friends - without your knowledge of course :shock: .

To give them their due Facebook alerted their members to these proposals and even gave them a chance to vote on them in a binding poll ( a 30% turnout with a majority against would have led to them keeping their existing policy - allegedly). They said that they emailed all their members twice to tell them details of how to cast a vote as well as publicising it on their site.

The results?

Less then 1% of their members even bothered to vote.

Maybe we ought to be giving lessons in privacy (or rather the lack of it) in schools. That is just shocking.

BTW, of the less than 1% that did vote 88% voted against.

I don't have a Facebook account and have never even visited their website, so I can't guarantee that everything I have written here is 100% accurate, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: Facebook and privacy

Post by nomko »

viking777 wrote:II don't have a Facebook account
Keep it that way!!! I don't have twitter, facebook, hyves, myspace, whatsoever. It is just plain rubbish. Those social media platforms aren't the best places for people who likes privacy. And do you really care that Mr. Mark cares about it? The only thing those social media platforms care about is money...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Why do you care if you aren't even using it :D Facebook actually has very good privacy controls in place, and you can easily disable the behavior you are commenting on. Most people just don't care I think. Making them care through education might work, but I'd rather have such things be legislated to be opt-in vs. opt-out. Like the cookie law in Europe, which requires websites to get your consent prior to placing a cookie on your computer unless that cookie is needed to use the website (like for a shopping cart in an online store; but social website tracking cookies need your consent on each website). Opt-in vs. opt-out protects the interests of consumers.

Anyway, the things you refer to are easily disabled from the Facebook Ads page in your Accounts Settings (copied below). Combine that with on your Privacy Settings having set your content to be only visible by friends, and you won't be leaking your stuff all over the Internet :wink:
Third Party Sites
Facebook does not give third party applications or ad networks the right to use your name or picture in ads. If we allow this in the future, the setting you choose will determine how your information is used.

You may see social context on third party sites, including in ads, through Facebook social plugins. Although social plugins enable you to have a social experience on a third party site, Facebook does not share your information with the third party sites hosting the social plugins. Learn more about social plugins.

Ads & Friends
Everyone wants to know what their friends like. That's why we pair ads and friends—an easy way to find products and services you're interested in, based on what your friends share and like. Learn more about social ads.

Here are the facts:
  • Social ads show an advertiser's message alongside actions you have taken, such as liking a Page
  • Your privacy settings apply to social ads
  • We don't sell your information to advertisers
  • Only confirmed friends can see your actions alongside an ad
  • If a photo is used, it is your profile photo and not from your photo albums
viking777

Post by viking777 »

@nomko - don't worry, you would have to pay me an awful lot of money to open a Facebook account.

@xenopeek - Have you read 1984? If not you should. The only thing Orwell got wrong was the date.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Like I said, having your content be discoverable and visible publicly should be opt-in and not opt-out as it currently is, but I don't see what 1984 has to do with this. I think most people don't care about these things, and perhaps that is what your 1984 reference alludes to
viking777

Post by viking777 »

That is exactly it my friend.

Return to “Open Chat”