Enable Mobile Broadband to use phone as modem not working

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
quentinb

Enable Mobile Broadband to use phone as modem not working

Post by quentinb »

I plugged in my phone with USB cable to use it as a modem, configured the New GSM connection appropriately, ticked "Enable Mobile Broadband" option and tried to connect to the phone companies internet service - not working maybe because Enable Mobile Broadband in not turned on ever. I checked the advanced rights of my username on Mint as full Administrator - still no luck. Help please. There must be something I'm overlooking - please forgive my newbie status.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Enable Mobile Broadband to use phone as modem not workin

Post by grimdestripador »

This guy deserves his refund.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

You have a data plan on your phone and your cell provider allows for tethering, correct?
quentinb

Post by quentinb »

Yes to MartyMint's question
thegreatgazoo

Post by thegreatgazoo »

Assuming you are using android and it has tethering as an option, this is not something you do on your computer.
In android, somewhere in the settings you should have the option to use" usb tethering". If you don't, you may need to install an app that does this for you.

Once you plug in your phone to Linux mint, you tap the "enable usb tether" button on your phone. Linux mint will automatically see it and use it.

I don't know how it works on iPhone.
On my old windows mobile phone, I had to dial into it with a phone number like an actual modem.
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

*Edited to remove duplicate attachment.

Return to “MATE”