Mint 14 Mate 64 Live image issues

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Schoolofmonkey

Mint 14 Mate 64 Live image issues

Post by Schoolofmonkey »

Hey

First time poster long time user.
I'm having problems with Mint 14, Mint 13 works fine.
I try booting from the Mint 14 Mate 64 CD and am greeted with the logon window, it tries to automatically login as Mint which throws up a black screen then back to the logon screen.
I tried manually entering mint with no password, does the same thing.

Other things I've tried:
Creating a boot USB, same problem
Redownloading the image, 14 and 14.1 both do the same thing
Boot in compatibility mode, no luck

I then went back to my linux mint 13 64 mate image, booted fine, installed fine.

My setup is:
I5 2500K
Asrock Extreme4 Gen3
8GB Ram
Asus GTX670

Its got me stumped because I've never had this problem in the past with earlier versions.
Just for a test I tried Ubuntu 12.10 and that boots fine.

Any ideas??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
snison

Re: Mint 14 Mate 64 Live image issues

Post by snison »

Can you run

Code: Select all

inxi -F
in Ubuntu 12.10 and post that?
Schoolofmonkey

Post by Schoolofmonkey »

inxi -f didn't work under Ubuntu 12.10, Command not found

Under Linux Mint 13 I got:

CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-2500K CPU (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
Clock Speeds: 1: 3302.288 MHz 2: 3302.288 MHz 3: 3302.288 MHz 4: 3302.288 MHz
CPU Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts
acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good
nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1
sse4_2 popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx lahf_lm ida arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dts tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept
vpid

I also just realised, I did upgrade my video card from a GTX570 to a GTX670, I had booted from the LM 14 live USB/DVD prior to the upgrade and it had booted fine.
When I went to install it yesterday with the new card it would give me the logon screen loop.

Could it have anything to do with that?
Schoolofmonkey

Post by Schoolofmonkey »

Guess no one knew how to help.

I did manage to get it going, I booted from the Cinnamon 14.1 64 image, that worked fine.
Installed Mint
Rebooted
The got to the logon screen, Logon loop again, This is from the install!!
Changed sesson to Gnome 2D
Logged in fine
Installed the nvidia drivers before doing anything else
Rebooted
Logged into Cinnamon fine
Installed Mate
All good.

By having to install the nvidia drivers before mate orr Cinnamon would load properly is indicating to me there a problem with the Asus GTX670 and the latest Mint version, it didn't do any of this with my GTX570.
Toxophilix

Post by Toxophilix »

I also have a GTX-670 (Palit rather than Asus) and saw exactly the same issue. I used your workaround and found that it solved the problem.

Return to “Beginner Questions”