youtube fullscreen issues (dual monitor)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SugarSnipes

youtube fullscreen issues (dual monitor)

Post by SugarSnipes »

So I use Linux mint 13 KDE and I have this weird issue. Whenever I go fullscreen with a youtube video, it sometimes keeps the video size the same but has the video controls stretched to both ends of the screen. Now the weird thing about this is that it only happens on my dual monitor computer and it only happens sometimes, only on youtube. Hulu and other video websites do not have the issue, only youtube. I have tried updating flash and the issue is not fixed.
I really love KDE as I have it on all of my computers, I only have this issue on one of them.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
diego

Re: youtube fullscreen issues (dual monitor)

Post by diego »

I have the same issue, also running Linux Mint 13 KDE. I'm new to Linux (2 weeks now).

When I'm only on a single monitor, fullscreen works fine, filling up the entire screen size.
Only when I'm using dual monitor display does the fullscreen video remain small. The problem is not only in Youtube. I have tried several other Flash-based online video players, and each one messes up in a different way when I go fullscreen. For example, vimeo fullscreens on the wrong monitor (in my case, the smaller one). In Novamov, it only shows half of the video. Some work fine (you mentioned Hulu). The problem occurs in both Firefox and Chromium.

First, I tried updating the flash plugin, then I tried the Flash-Aid add-on for Firefox, but it didn't change anything.

Then, I tried loading the proprietary drivers for my video card (ATI Radeon HD 5450). In the Catalyst Control Center GUI (with admin priviledges), I could select "Single display desktop (multiple desktops)" When I restarted the computer, fullscreen worked perfect for all flash video players. The problem was that now my 2 monitors were separate desktops, so I couldn't drag windows from one to another. Catalyst has a feature called Xinerama, which supposedly allows dragging windows across screens. I selected this and restarted my computer, and while I could drag windows between monitors, my Youtube problem returned.

That's the closest I could get to solving this issue.
Does anyone else have any ideas?
Many thanks!
alagregg

Post by alagregg »

I'm running MINT 14 Cinnamon and am experiencing the same problem.
So I'm guessing its not just a KDE specific problem.

Did you find a solution ?
diego

Post by diego »

Yes, I've found the solution, it's explained on this website: http://al.robotfuzz.com/workaround-for- ... -desktops/
The page contains a link to the code (https://github.com/ali1234/fullscreenhack) for a hack that can be used with Firefox or Chrome.
You have to compile it, but it has a makefile, so you just follow the instructions, it's not too complicated. Just make sure you get all the dependencies.
Good luck!

Return to “Software & Applications”