Add to Panel not working

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon

Add to Panel not working

Postby SpikeJet on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:10 pm

I'm running Mint 14 (Nadia) (64-bit) with Cinnamon. I right-clicked a couple of items in the menu and added them to the bottom panel. At first it worked fine, then i did some minor editting of the panel, moved a few items around a bit, then Add To Panel stopped working. In fact, a few icons I liked disappeared and now I cannot re-add them. I did not install "Docky" to the best of my knowledge, whatever Docky is.

If a reader of this question does not have a solution, could you at least point me to the files that are involved? Maybe I can edit them manually. Or can you tell me what the equivalent command in a terminal session would be? Then I could read the error messages.

I'm not trying to add applets, I know how to do that, I'm trying to add applications from the internet menu such as Firefox or Thunderbird, or even just a Terminal icon to open up a terminal.

Thanks for any help.
SpikeJet
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Add to Panel not working

Postby viking777 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:30 pm

I have the same version as you and "Add to panel" doesn't work for me either. I can add applets, but not applications from the menu. It is lucky I don't want to use it.

Have you tried "Add to Favourites" - that does work and is a much better option imho.

Still we are all different, I understand that.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby SallyK on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:01 pm

This may be a stupid question - but when you were moving things around on the panel, did you by any chance remove the Panel Launchers Applet? Because if it's not on the panel, then you can't add short-cuts from the menu.
SallyK
Level 3
Level 3

Postby SpikeJet on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:33 pm

Why would that be a stupid question???? That's exactly what I did!!! I had unclicked the Launcher intentionally because I saw no purpose for it.

I'm not trying to shift the blame, it was my mistake after all, but why is it possible to remove an applet that supplies a HUGE bit functionality to the panel? Why is this an option? What possible advantage does it offer to make it possible to badly hobble the panel in this way? And I know I'm sounding a little picky here, but a warning message would be nice (when requesting Add To Panel and the Launcher is deactivated).

But anyway, thanks very much! I thought cinnamon was broken!
SpikeJet
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zorba on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:08 pm

SpikeJet wrote:Why would that be a stupid question???? That's exactly what I did!!! I had unclicked the Launcher intentionally because I saw no purpose for it.

I'm not trying to shift the blame, it was my mistake after all, but why is it possible to remove an applet that supplies a HUGE bit functionality to the panel? Why is this an option? What possible advantage does it offer to make it possible to badly hobble the panel in this way? And I know I'm sounding a little picky here, but a warning message would be nice (when requesting Add To Panel and the Launcher is deactivated).

But anyway, thanks very much! I thought cinnamon was broken!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Zorba
Level 8
Level 8

Postby SallyK on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:54 am

I'm glad it worked for you. :-) I don't know why you can remove it, but I'm sure somebody out there would be jumping up and down and complaining if you couldn't.

I'm afraid I tend to err on the side of caution when suggesting the kind of fixes that don't involve typing multiple lines of code into the terminal, just in case someone takes it the wrong way, and bites my nose off for pointing out something that they've *obviously* already thought of.. :oops:
SallyK
Level 3
Level 3

Postby sjmcc on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:49 pm

Glad you managed to solve the issue. There are good reasons to be able to remove it. I often use a dock as a place to launch my most used apps from. I turn off the panel launcher applet because I don't need the functionality duplicated and using up space on my panel.
sjmcc
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Cinnamon