T-Mobile Wireless Pointer

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leerevdouglas

T-Mobile Wireless Pointer

Post by leerevdouglas »

Hello,

So I'm new to Linux and have installed Mint14. I'm having issues getting my mobile broadband device working. I've got a feeling it's going to be a manual config thing, but I'm not sure.

Any help there for me, further details can of course be provided?

Cheers,
Lee.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
veggen

Re: T-Mobile Wireless Pointer

Post by veggen »

Do you mean the 3G modem? If so, find out which model it is. It is usually a Huawei modem, but find out the exact model.
Most of these modems can be configured to work with some effort. When you know the model, try Googling, I've seen instructions many times.
leerevdouglas

Post by leerevdouglas »

Yes it's just a fancy dial-up broadband USB device. I have talked to my ISP and now have the relevant details, APN, username and password, and have manually set up a new mobile connection with these details but it is failing. It looks to me that it tries connecting and then fails, I'm not sure if it is failing at the login part or it just not dialling out correctly and seeing the other end. It is indeed an Huawei and looks to be an E583C.

An update.

Now I'm really confused. I can see the device listed in the hardware list but as both a hard disk and CD, and both are being reported a scsi devices?
I cannot see it listed as a USB device at all, even though it is on. I'm working on a duo boot with Mint installed to an extra internal HDD, and it all works fine on Win7.

Help!

Okay so I have made sure that the Usb modeswitch software is installed, it is and the data to go with it also. I'll keep looking, but any help would be great.

An update.

So I have got to grips with the usb_modeswitch command, it seemed to have worked, the hard disk and CD disapared from the Home screen, but then the PC hung and I had to re-boot before I managed to test the connection. Now when I go into it again and try running usb_modeswitch it tells me there is nothing for it to do. So it seems like the device is being recognised as a USB modem, however the problem persists, and the extra hard disk and CD have now reapared?
veggen

Post by veggen »

You got as far as my knowledge reaches :( Let's hope someone else chips in...
In the meantime, there seems to be more people trying the same thing. This post in particular seems to say how to at least check if modeswitch worked.

Return to “Beginner Questions”