Asus XONAR DSX not recognized by audio system

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Grumpyoleman

Asus XONAR DSX not recognized by audio system

Post by Grumpyoleman »

Hello and good day!

My first run with linux mint 13 and it has been outstanding. It dealt with my new dual boot build and did not bat an eye at the new EUFI mobo. The only hiccup I have is the Asus Xonar DSX is not recognized by the system. I have used linux since the Mandrake 6 days but I don't roll my own anymore. I am currently using the onboard Intel sound but I would really like to use the souncard.

My specs:
Liinux Mint 13 (64bit) 3.2.0-23-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H (bios ver 12)
Nvidia GX570 Linux-x64 304.43 ver drivers
I5 3550 (non oc'd)
8GB ram

The output of cat /proc/asound/cards is
0 [NVidia ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
HDA NVidia at 0xf7080000 irq 17
*the onboard Intel sound will show up when enabled in bios. I disabled the Nvidia output.

lspci -vvnn shows:
05:04.0 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8788 [Oxygen HD Audio] [13f6:8788]
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8522]
Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 32 (500ns min, 6000ns max)
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
Region 0: I/O ports at c000
Capabilities: <access denied>

So the sound card is there but the system cannot use it. Works great in Windows 7 64bit so its not the actual hardware.

I have manually loaded snd_oxygen to no avail. XONAR still not recognized. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rhag

Re: Asus XONAR DSX not recognized by audio system

Post by rhag »

A patch has been submitted to the alsa-driver mailing list that enables support for the card. You will have to compile your drivers though. From what i 've played with it the driver works fine. The patch itself is minimal, it is basically telling the Xonar DS driver that it can recognize the DSX and everything else is the same.
The patch can be found here: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux. ... vel/100921 . You can manually change the driver if you'd like as well, the patch is minimal.
Grumpyoleman

Post by Grumpyoleman »

Excellent! I just got back and I will let everyone know how this works out.

Thank you very much.
Grumpyoleman

Post by Grumpyoleman »

Its been longer than I thought. I did not recompile the snd-virtuoso driver properly. I was able to back up and re-install so I did not lose anything. I know its been a long time but I did not think it was that long. Anyway, everyone else seems to been running great with the fix. Thanks again!
Grumpyoleman

Post by Grumpyoleman »

Quick update...

It was trivial to add the lines to recognize the card. It works great and I want to thank you for posting the link to the patch.

If you are going to do this yourself, just download the lastest drivers from ALSA (http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page) and make the changes then configure - make - install.

Once again, thanks.
edmundf

Post by edmundf »

Hi there,

I have a Asus Essnce ST card + H6 which is recognized by Linux Mint 64 MATE, BUT in audacity there is no control over the input!
There are option to choose from in devices Where I see plauback device Asus ST but no such device under "recording"???
Only default, sysdefault and pulse but no Asus ST??
I tried to record at a high sample rate and Audacity shows "actual sample rate 192000 Hz" but nothing above 20 kHz is recorded!
Under playback devices the Asus ST card is shown and the audacty playback control works too.

BTW I have another computer with an on board intel sound chip, and there both palyback aand record devices give me the option
Intel xxxx, the audacty controls are working too and I can record with at least 96000 Hz sample rate.

So what can I do to record with the expensive Asus card??

Thanks

Edmund

Return to “Hardware Support”