Sharing folders on local Wifi, help! [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lazarescu

Sharing folders on local Wifi, help! [SOLVED]

Post by lazarescu »

Hey everyone,

I'm extremely noobish here and am having trouble getting my folders to share through my home router.

I have a desktop with Mint 14 64 bit. It's running dual boot with Win 7 and also has a second HDD with all my music on it which is formatted as NTFS (from the Windows days). This computer is wired to the router.
I have a laptop running Mint XFCE 64bit. It's using WIFI to connect to the router.

I am at my wits end trying to share the music from my NTFS' Music folder to the laptop. After trying and failing (due to the noob status) at Subsonic, I decided to just share the folder over the network. I've installed Samba4. NTFS partition is mounted as such:

Code: Select all

/dev/sdb1 on /media/lazarescu/HIVE type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
I have no problems seeing the drive after I start up, although each time I click on it in the file browser it appears on my desktop and then gains the little eject button next to it, does this mean it is not auto-mounting at startup?

Now, when I share this folder and browse to it via the network (either on this desktop or the laptop) I get "Unable to mount location, Failed to mount Windows share". I should add that I am also trying to share a folder on my desktop and it gives the same error message.

I have searched and searched and searched and read so many threads that just end up giving 60 ways to do the same thing. I can't tell if this is a mount issue, a samba issue, etc. Half the time the guides give instructions which are not compatible with what I see on screen or commands available to me.

I know this has been covered for so many people, but none of their threads have helped me in the slightest - the overload of information is only serving to push me deeper into the Linux hole with no understanding of how I got there.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Sharing folders on local Wifi, help!

Post by altair4 »

This is going to be a drive by I'm afraid since I'm shutting down for the day but ....

There was no reason to install Samba since it was already installed by default. If it was missing for some reason installing Samba4 was the wrong choice. Samba3 or just Samba was the right choice.

If you want to continue with Samba4 because you are feeling adventurous the problem appears to be this:
/dev/sdb1 on /media/lazarescu/HIVE type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
Without going into the why, give this a shot:

Edit smb.conf as root:

gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
Find the "workgroup" line near the beginning of the file and add a line right under it:

force user = lazarescue
Save the file and restart samba:

sudo service smbd restart
Wait a few minutes and then see if you can connect to the share.

EDIT: If that doesn't fix it outright remove Samba4 and put the default samba back. I'm also assuming that Samba4 still has a smb.conf and it's service is still called smbd.

EDIT2: The Samba packages you want if you have to remove Samba4 are these:
smbclient
samba-common-bin
samba-common
samba
python-smbc
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
lazarescu

Re: Sharing folders on local Wifi, help!

Post by lazarescu »

Thanks altair! That was ridiculously simple after the myriad of technical things I was trying to follow. Looks like I need to do some reading, starting from the beginning!

Cheers.

Return to “Beginner Questions”