I really hope this is the last one

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tlcmd

I really hope this is the last one

Post by tlcmd »

I've gotten LMDE installed and working properly and have Windows XP SP3 installed into Oracle's VirtualBox.

My remaining problem is how to download and install Oracle's Virtual USB Extension Pack. So I can copy/transfer files to the Virtual Disk. And got the chief program up and running which was the purpose of this exercise. Now I've got to copy some 10k+ files from my external HDD to the virtual box.

The instructions from Oracle and their support forum are a bit too complex for my brain to understand and are not specific to LMDE. They require the download of the extension pack for USB support and you will need to have your (host) username in the vboxusers group (also on the host). This to access my external HDD with all my files on it.

I got the USB download, but I can't figure out how to get my username in the vboxusers group (also on the host)

This shouldn't be nuclear science. I'm reasonably intelligent and practiced medicine for 30 years, but even then, the initial steps were small and well explained..

Would one of you really sharp guys guide me through the steps of getting my host username in the vbox and install the Extension Pack for USB support.

Thanks so very much.

tlcmd
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: I really hope this is the last one

Post by caf4926 »

It should be something like

Code: Select all

sudo groupmod --add-user <login_name> vboxusers
Replace <login_name> with your user name. So if you login with: plonker

It would look like this

sudo groupmod --add-user plonker vboxusers
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
tlcmd

Post by tlcmd »

caf4926,
Thanks again from your backwards student. Here's the big question and probably the chief stumbling block for me:
What's with the entry "CODE: SELECT ALL"
Where do I enter it. If I type it into my terminal window, I receive the message: "command not found"
Ditto for "SELECT ALL"
That single "command line" has been a real challenge for me. I have tried searching for it on the LMDE site, on-line, and in my recent copy of the "Linux Bible" with no answer.

Can you please offer some sort of explanation? It is in a box above virtually every sudo command like this from your last post to me::

It should be something like

sudo groupmod --add-user <login_name> vboxusers

Hopefully this info will provide the gestalt I need to light my way.

My very sincere thanks for putting up with my lack of comprehension,
tlcmd (aka Dick)
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

What's with the entry "CODE: SELECT ALL"
Where do I enter it. If I type it into my terminal window, I receive the message: "command not found"
Ditto for "SELECT ALL"
CODE is telling you that what is in the box is a command or lines of commands.
SELECT ALL - If you click on it ( actually click on the SELECT ALL words ) you will find out that it highlights what is in the box. Once it's highlighted you can right click it and select Copy.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

When you click 'Select All'
It copies it to your clipboard

Then just use your mouse to right click and paste in the terminal
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

Return to “LMDE Archive”