(SOLVED)mint 14 freezing up?? a lot and my system locks

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Re: (SOLVED)mint 14 freezing up?? a lot and my system locks

Post by raymerjacque »

may i ask why you run 64bit ?

I also installed 64bit since i have 6Gb ram, but i had so many issues with Wine and 64bit. Then i read that 32bit mint is PAE enabled so i installed 32bit and it recognises all my ram and all my issues went away and i am happily running Mate 32bit on my Laptop with no issues :)
podagee

Post by podagee »

i agree with the 32bit running better.i try both 32 and 64 bit to see which is better and obviously its the 32bit.i am currently on mint 13 cinn. 64bit and have no issues here.even the 32bit of 14 works okay but not to my liking.the 64bit of 14 kde runs perfectly fine.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

I never had issues with 64bit mint itself, the os runs smooth, but like i said, i use quite a few apps in wine and some games as well and i had ENDLESS issues with wine and 64bit, it was a NIGHTMARE to get stuff working. I discovered that 32bit mint detects more than 4GB ram, installed 32bit and now everything runs :)
qwizzer

Post by qwizzer »

i would just add to this that if you are reading this, disregard anything podagee says because it seems he is a bit of a beginner.
i also have no idea why this thread is marked SOLVED.
podagee

Post by podagee »

beginner?hmmm.its obvious you are an idiot.the kernel is the problem therefore it is solved.how about you start your own thread and figure it out.
podagee

Post by podagee »

h and BTW welcome to the mint forums.
snison

Post by snison »

I installed Mint 14 x64 and soon realized it was not the Linux I grew up with: it was not stable. It would freeze as described in these posts, throw exceptions, etc. I have been using Mint 13 x64 a few days now and no freeze ups. LTS is the best!
podagee

Post by podagee »

i agree,because,i am also running mint 13 x64 and there is no problems.did an upgrade to the 1.6.7 cinnamon and no problems here beside opening pages tend to hold the bckground image then flip to the window im opening.other than that LTS is actually great.i am also wondering that when 13.04 comes around what is going to be different beside more problems?think i'll stay planted with 13
d00med

Post by d00med »

Pretty much can't run and 3D game without freezing. I'll probably try 32 bit Mint 14.
snison

Post by snison »

IMHO you won't be doing yourself a favor. If you're going to install a new version, do Mint 13x64. It's based on 12.04 LTS.
podagee

Post by podagee »

yes mint 13 is more stable than others and supported till 2017 as to new versions are supported for about a year.longer support means more stable it gets.
d00med

Post by d00med »

Alright, I'll try Mint 13. The 32bit versions of Linux are a lot lighter on resources though, aren't they?
podagee

Post by podagee »

in linux yes.hard to really see a difference between 32 and 64 bit in linux.only windows shows any difference
podagee

Post by podagee »

i just installed ubuntu 13.04 x86 as a 3rd OS on my computer and i must say,it runs pretty quick.the 3.8-0-2 kernel aint that bad at all.looking forward to the new LTS being complete.the kernel feels like it has some heat issues though.it is nice and load up time has been majorly cut.nice.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Topic is now about other distros as well, so moving it.

To be clear, Ubuntu 13.04 is not a LTS release. The next LTS should be 14.04 as Ubuntu does a LTS release every two years now (and 12.04 is the current LTS release).
podagee

Post by podagee »

sorry i forgot about that thanks.
d00med

Post by d00med »

Haven't gotten any freezing in the few days since I upgraded to kernel 3.7.4. Hardly definitive, but I've been giving it a stress test for days and no freezing whatsoever.
podagee

Post by podagee »

will look into reinstalling 14 later today.we'll see what happens.
podagee

Post by podagee »

one other thing,has anyone experienced a graphics drop and normal to widescreen difference after installing the 3.7 series kernels?i tried before and everything on my computer went crazy,but,will try again.downloading mint 14 cinnamon x64 right now.or should i just go with the 32bit?
podagee

Post by podagee »

installed 14 32-bit and still no extract??gonna see about them freezes.almost done updating,then gonna install a newer kernel to see if there is a difference

Return to “Chat about Linux”