[Solved] Can't Install Anything with Software Manager

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[Solved] Can't Install Anything with Software Manager

Postby jinxella on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:56 pm

Well, this is my first day with Linux Mint. (Some experience prior, enough to get myself in trouble, apparently.) Trying to get my wireless to work, I found a video that said to install a few things from the software manager. Click 'install' nothing happens. Searched the internet for help, found two solutions.

First solution (from viewtopic.php?f=90&t=112444):
sudo mv /var/lib/dpkg/info/install-info.postinst /var/lib/dpkg/info/install-info.postinst.bad

It didn't help. More searching led me here: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=93776
At the end of the thread, someone suggested this:
sudo mv /var/lib/apt/lists /var/lib/apt/lists.old
sudo mkdir -p /var/lib/apt/lists/partial
sudo apt-get update

Now, in software manager, I can't see any of the not installed packages. Where it was some 35000 packages available, there are now 1916.

If you help me, I promise not to just randomly type things I find online without making sure I know exactly what I'm doing in the future. ^_^
Last edited by jinxella on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jinxella
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can't Install Anything with Software Manager

Postby viking777 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:56 am

Well the commands to reverse what you have done are quite simple so lets start there.

Code: Select all
sudo mv /var/lib/dpkg/info/install-info.postinst.bad  /var/lib/dpkg/info/install-info.postinst

sudo rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists

sudo mv /var/lib/apt/lists.old  /var/lib/apt/lists

sudo apt-get update
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby jinxella on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:45 pm

Thank you! That absolutely worked. I promise not to do anything that I can't figure out how to undo on my own from now on.

I feel like I probably have more reading to do to figure out why I can't install anything. But if anyone has ideas, those would be welcome as well. I've only tried to install broadcom-sta-common and broadcom-sta-source, because I read somewhere that I needed those to get my wifi working.

Lots to learn still. :)
jinxella
Level 1
Level 1

Postby viking777 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:25 am

There are two alternatives to the Software Manager, Synaptic (the package manager) and the command line so try those. Synaptic is just a gui you should be able work that out without me explaining it, the command to install broadcom-sta-common would be:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install broadcom-sta-common

If you try that and get some errors paste them here that might give us a clue.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby jinxella on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:07 pm

So, yes, that worked. Also, connecting to the internet helped. I don't know why I was under the impression that the packages were there, just not 'installed', but I was. Things work quite differently when you can actually access the things you are trying to install. :)

Thank you!!!
jinxella
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions