why HD to usb data copying speed is slow in linux.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FurqanHanif

why HD to usb data copying speed is slow in linux.

Post by FurqanHanif »

i am using linux mint cinnamon. the copy speed as compared to windows is too slow. a file whose size is 1 gb i copy that file into the usb from windows the data transfer rate is 15mb/s but in linux the data copy speed to usb is only 1mb/s. :( :( :( . what can i do to solve this problem... please someone reply....
Thanks in advance.
(sorry for my English.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Sultan_of_Swing

Post by Sultan_of_Swing »

Hi Furqan

You don't say what type of USB device you are using, but this does not sound like a Cinnamon problem.

USB 1.1 hardware transfers at a slower speed than USB 2.0. I am guessing here, but either you are using a USB 1.1 port or you are using a USB 1.1 device, either of which will make transfers slower. I think Windows uses special drivers to compensate for slow USB connections, but Linux does not.

What type of USB device are you using? I have several older USB memory sticks that are only USB1.1 compatible, and also transfer at a slower rate. Equally, if I put a USB2.0 memory stick in the front USB ports on my desktop PC, these also run at a slower speed, but run much faster when plugged in at the back USB ports.
FurqanHanif

Re: why HD to usb data copying speed is slow in linux.

Post by FurqanHanif »

the usb is 2.0 and in the port in which usb 2.0 is connected is also 2.0 port. so now what is problem...? :(

Return to “Software & Applications”