Think I installed Mint 13 wrong!!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MHull

Think I installed Mint 13 wrong!!

Post by MHull »

I have an EeePC 1000 on which I installed Mint 11 last year thanks to help from you all....and have learned recently that it is now obsolete. I have spent the last 3 days trying to backup my data and install Mint 13. Again thanks to lots of help, I finally managed it....I thought. However, when I tried to start up my computer again it wouldn't open until I switched to a different "session". I think it was MATE that works. Because I panicked the first time that happened I tried to reinstall the whole thing again from the usb stick and noticed that there are apparently 2 disks on my computer, one 8.2 GB and another 32 GB. The first version went on the 8.2 disk which then wouldn't open and I got a message saying there could be a problem of not enough memory so I tried to put it on the 32 GB disk. Same problem when I tried to boot up again with same message so I tried installing again and it said I had multiple versions so I said overwrite all. The next time I tried the sessions trick and came up on the first 8.2 GB disk!! I thought I had overwritten that one. I also cannot reinstall my backed up data from the backup tool so I"ve lost all my bookmarks on Firefox as well.
HELP!! Any advice on how to sort out this mess gratefully received :oops:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Think I installed Mint 13 wrong!!

Post by grimdestripador »

Your willingness to learn is appreciated. Because it seems you may need to use "custom partitions" to manually 'clean up' the confusion that the auto installer seems to be having. At the very least you will need a USB or DVD boot into linux mint. It seems you know this and have attempted many installs. But from the information you provided. I'm confused, because it seems you have two issues. 1) getting a single install on a single partition. 2) Somethign about sessions?

Do you really have a 40GB drive?

Edit Update: OP has a 32 USB, and the live image is 8 GB.
Last edited by grimdestripador on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MHull

Post by MHull »

Ok, let me try to answer as best I can. Yes, I have Linux install on an 8gb usb stick.
My computer seems to be working ok now on the first install I did since it uses the first password for the login. After I told it to use MATE for the sessions it seems to be ok. However, when I explore my computer it does tell me that I have a 'file', 'partition', 'folder'...something which uses the same icon as an external usb or hd card which says 31mb and when I click on it to look at what's on it, it shows the Linux install, which I assume is the second one. And, given that the one I seem to be using is only 8.1, I do get messages if I try to install another program about not very much memory left.
Your thoughts?
Thanks!!
MHull

Post by MHull »

Ok, here's what it comes up with exactly when I click on my computer:

A hard drive icon which is labeled: 32GB Hard Disk: 31 GB Filesystem
and a second Hard drive icon which says: File system (which is the 8.1 GB one which it seems to use as a default)
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

Use a live cd/usb to delete all the mint partitions. In the new unallocated space reinstall mint.

Chose one of the following to guide you through the install process.

http://youtu.be/UuL1NkXI7FQ how to setup mint using gparted

http://youtu.be/kBrRL6iG0NM using the installer (ubiquity) after setting up your partitions. Or installing over an existing install partitions.

http://youtu.be/pq2bsTh_dDs How to use unetbootin to make a liveusb

How to dualboot Windows and Linux using a simple install. This is a simple standard install. http://youtu.be/lzXZpEWTApc
MHull

Post by MHull »

ok, thanks, I will give it a go and see what happens. Just one question tho, is there supposed to be sound on the video links? I hear nothing. I will try and follow them nonetheless.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

MHull wrote:ok, thanks, I will give it a go and see what happens. Just one question tho, is there supposed to be sound on the video links? I hear nothing. I will try and follow them nonetheless.
No sound.
They are quite explanatory and simple to follow.
MHull

Post by MHull »

Umm, am trying to follow your instructions, but your first one is to delete Mint using the live USB.....can you tell me how to do this? Is not obvious to me and am afraid of deleting it off the USB!

One other thing. I am looking at gParted on my system and it would appear that I have 2 hard disks...it says: icon (for hard disk) /dev/sda (9.52 GiB) and under that I have another identical icon /dev/sdb (30.06 GiB) and then under that what I assume is my 8GB usb stick since it says /dev/sdc (7.45 GiB)

Can you give me a step by step approach? Am trying to watch the youtube posts on my desktop so I can see them while I'm trying to change everything on my EeePC but the posts are kind of fuzzy.

Thanks for your help!
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

1. At the top of the page third line down you'll see view your posts - go back through them till you find the one(s) about installing mint 11 then just do the same.
2. you cant delete your usb if its a live usb.
3. which mint if any is working on the computer - not the live usb.
4. to delete ta partition - in gparted click on partition > delete.

can you take a screen shot of your partitions and post them here?
MHull

Re: Think I installed Mint 13 wrong!! [Solved]

Post by MHull »

Thanks to the help of the kind people on this forum I have now managed to sort out the partitions and get Mint 13 installed! So far everything seems to be working except I can't switch off my touch pad ( I use an external USB mouse) which is annoying. I haven't tried to put any of my photos or data back on but I expect that should be fairly straightforward. Wish me luck!

Return to “Installation & Boot”