Home folders on desktop?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ubu

Home folders on desktop?

Post by Ubu »

The folders from my Home folder appeared on my desktop when I logged on today. If I try to move them from my Desktop to waste basket then they are also removed from the Home folder. I can see a thread on another forum about resolving this - I think this may have something to do with Nemo but being a complete Newbie to Linux I have no idea as to how to put it right. Can anyone give me an idiot's walkthrough about how to sort this? Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Home folders on desktop?

Post by proxima_centauri »

Are you using Cinnamon? Try going to Cinnamon Settings > Desktop. Uncheck the folders you don't wish to see on the desktop.
Ubu

Post by Ubu »

Hi. Yes I am using Cinnamon. I've tried unchecking but it made no difference. The folders on the desktop are the same ones in my Home folder. I'm wondering if I have to open root to do something, but being new to Linux not sure. Any help greatly appreciated!
Ubu

Post by Ubu »

I've tried the solution on this link:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ers#p67634

Still not working. :( Any ideas?
Ubu

<SOLVED>Re: Home folders on desktop?

Post by Ubu »

I changed the line XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/" to XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop" a number of times - as well as trying other things.It seemed to work in the end, but I have no idea why. The only different thing I did was to shut down/switch off completely and restart rather than restart, but I don't see how that made any difference. On a par with hitting the television to see if it works, but there you go...so far much prefer Mint to the Windows XP system I ran for years.

Return to “Beginner Questions”