Changing nemo location to smb://192.168.0.5 produces error

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dragon-dragon_dragon

Changing nemo location to smb://192.168.0.5 produces error

Post by dragon-dragon_dragon »

I'm not sure if I botched my system upgrade when transfering too many of my .dot files over, but smb networking has been a little buggy for me in the past, so I thought I'd check if others encounter this same problem.

I'm trying to navigate to a windows share from my LM cinnamon laptop. My procedure is as follows:

1) Hit [inline]ctrl+alt + e[/inline] which on my system runs the command [inline]nemo[/inline]
2) hit [inline]ctrl + l[/inline] to show and focus the address bar.
3) type in [inline]smb:/192.168.0.5[/inline] and hit enter to navigate.

This procedure produces an error however:
Could not find "/home/user_name/smb:/192.168.0.5".
Please check the spelling and try again.
Can others reproduce this error? If so, I think this is a bug and should be brought to the attention of the nemo crew.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Changing nemo location to smb://192.168.0.5 produces err

Post by altair4 »

Can't get that exact same error message but it does fail because your syntax is incorrect. Instead of this:
3) type in [inline]smb:/192.168.0.5[/inline] and hit enter to navigate.
try this:
3) type in [inline]smb://192.168.0.5[/inline] and hit enter to navigate.
2 forward slashes in front of the ip address not 1.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
dragon-dragon_dragon

Oops, that was a typo. It should have read [inline]smb://192.168.0.5[/inline]

I take it though, that I've some how bugged my system because you can get it to work with the proper syntax?

Edit: I just tried doing it by hitting alt+f2 and typing nemo, and I get functional results. This may have something to do with my shortcut being launched by xbindkeys...

I'll check back after more testing.

Yeah, it looks like xbindkeys has to do with this bug :( . I'll start a new thread after I learn more about that app.
dragon-dragon_dragon

Fixed it. I'm not sure why things needed to be fixed (I tested it in straight debian and I didn't get any odd behavior). This might be an indication of some bad code somewhere, but to solve the problem I just changed the command to launch nemo to use the -n parameter and added an explicit path.

Code: Select all

#Nemo
"nemo -n ~/"
    m:0x1c + c:26
    Control+Alt + e

Return to “Networking”